3FE Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, getting ready to replace the motor in my ‘91 89 series. Found a donor from an FJ62 made in Feb of ‘88. Wanted to get input on any differences or issues I may run into? I’ve searched a ton and can’t seem to find anyone who’s put an FJ62 motor into an FJ80, only the reverse.

Thanks!

"The biggest potential problem is that the oil pans, oil pump pick-ups and possibly the oil pumps are different between 80 and 62 series 3FEs. I was planning on lifting it so I didn't care too much. The 80 series pan has 2 steps in it to clear the arm on the 80 series front axle (I think that is the reason for the step) while the 62 series oil pan only has the one step. This could be a problem".

"The biggest potential problem is that the oil pans, oil pump pick-ups and possibly the oil pumps are different between 80 and 62 series 3FEs. I was planning on lifting it so I didn't care too much. The 80 series pan has 2 steps in it to clear the arm on the 80 series front axle (I think that is the reason for the step) while the 62 series oil pan only has the one step. This could be a problem".
Thanks for the insight. If I have both motors any idea if the pans will swap over? ie same bolt pattern but one without the steps?

Seems like you’re going backwards to me.
The parts for those motor’s are getting harder and harder to find.

Last edited:
Seems like you’re going backwards to me.
The parts for those motor’s are getting harder and harder to find.
Found a donor from a 62 for a pretty good price. The plan is to throw that in and make it drivable while the one currently in it is on a stand and being rebuilt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom