3FE Starter Options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 1991 FJ80 develped an intermitent starter issue which was only repaired by the old hammer trick to the solinoid area. The starter usually works fine but a temp change and it will leave you stranded. I removed it to find a bit of shaft end play as well.

Need advice and opinions for my 1991 3FE starter repair. I removed the stater yesterday (no fun job) I discovered it was a very old Toyota Reman unit.

Should I:
1.) find a local firm to rebuild it with Toyota OEM parts kits
2.) order a reman from a dealer
3.) buy a cheap local parts store version ( not sure this is a good idea )

Anything I need to watch for? 1991 production 3/91 date

I had to replace the starter in my '91 ~3 years ago. I got one from Autozone (I worked there at the time) and it didn't work so well, so I warrantied it and got another unit. It's nice to have a new and shiny-looking part. This time I took it apart (an easy job) and replaced the plunger and contacts with OEM Toyota pieces. The parts in Autozone's remanufactured unit were obviously used (don't listen when they tell you that all internal parts are new). Now my starter works great and I have a lifetime warranty. If it ever goes out again, I will warranty it and replace the plunger and contacts myself again. Just my experience, if it helps you decide what to do. Also, just FYI, O'Reilly's starters and alternators come from the same facility that Autozone uses, so other than loyalty, price, or whatever there is no quality/physical difference.

Last edited:
I had to replace the starter in my '91 ~3 years ago. I got one from Autozone (I worked there at the time) and it didn't work so well, so I warrantied it and got another unit. It's nice to have a new and shiny-looking part. This time I took it apart (an easy job) and replaced the plunger and contacts with OEM Toyota pieces. The parts in Autozone's remanufactured unit were obviously used (don't listen when they tell you all internal parts are new). Now my starter works great and I have a lifetime warranty. If it every goes out again, I will warranty it and replace the plunger and contacts myself again. Just my experience, if it helps you decide what to do. Also, just FYI, O'Reilly's starters and alternators come from the safe facility that Autozone uses, so other than loyalty, price, or whatever there is no quality/physical difference.
Didnt realize you could put OEM parts in the aftermarket crap starters. Thats good info.

They are usually "rebuilt" factory parts. They basically replace the contacts and call it rebuilt. But it is still a wore out factory starter, thats why they want your old one (core) so they can do it again.

They are usually "rebuilt" factory parts. They basically replace the contacts and call it rebuilt. But it is still a wore out factory starter, thats why they want your old one (core) so they can do it again.

The proper term is "krylon overhaul".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom