3FE running like a hot rod (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am in the process of signing up for the 3FE blog group but am having sign-in issues so in the mean time I figured I would send my question here.

I have a 88 Fj62 with 140K miles on it. To my knowledge and the previous owners knowledge there has never been any major engine work done (or probably needed with only 140K miles). since I purchased it a 6 weeks ago I have been going through it and giving it the top to bottom maintenence once over (fluids, belts, filters, etc...)

my question: with the 3FE engine does is make any sense to install high end plugs, wires, K&N filter, use injector cleaners, fuel treatments, etc...? My understanding is that the 3FE is a tractor engine that requires a little love, some oil, and she'll get you to the finish line everytime...I won't win the race, but I'll finish.

you can put purfume on a pig, but its still a pig

K&N filter won't help, the OEM is much better, stick with stock plugs and wires, injector cleaning won't hurt, but probably won't make any difference (better to remove the injectors and send them off for a refurb if you think there is a problem). Good plan on the fluids, filters, belts and hoses. Install a transmission cooler if it doesn't have one. Oh, and check for engine codes just to see if you have any. And for pity's sake, buy the Toyota repair manuals.

My rig has more miles than yours (200K), but here is what I have found needed replacing/fixing as general maintenance:

-Shifter bushings, shift linkage bushings and grommets
-Fuel Pressure Regulator and Damper
-EGR valve and modulator
-O2 sensors
-Vacuum lines
-PCV valve and grommet
-Adjust valve lifters

Then fix whatever is broken/doesn't work.

Last edited:
I'm on the Toyota manual. My office is literally 100yds from the local toyota dealer, and the cool thing is that the service manager is a Cruiserhead and so he is always willing to share Cruiser info...

Unless they'll sell at cost you'll get the same FSM price from Toyota Corp. as the dealer does. Or so I was told by Cruiser Dan.

and....it does not hurt to re-rubber under the hood all heater/coolant and vac lines. I used feed mine a steady diet of redline to keep fuel system good, but now with the ethanol fuels, your fuel system should be relatively clean. Best mods for extra zip is advancing timing a touch, exhaust work (converted mine to true dual exhaust from the cats back) w/ o2 denso sensors, and gearing if you really have to make a noticeable difference.

I'd add some attention to the transmission throttle cable to the list. You should be able to rev up to at least 3500 before up-shifts with the pedal to the floor. The 3FE really comes alive at 3000+ rpm. (but comes apart at 4000+ :p)

Hi, Replace the fuel filter in the tank.throttle and trans. kick down cables,adjust or replace,have the injectors pro. cleaned,check all pulleys to make sure they turn easily esp. ac idler pulley. My 60 aand 62s run very well and get 17-18 mpg. Have fun MIke

Second the fuel filter and general fluids...nothing special about these motors.

I've been wondering how high I can run it w/o worry Doc, you're saying under 4K?

By stock tach, I'm pretty sure I've hit 4500, but I wouldn't do that intentionally (loosing traction on an icy hill climb). 4000 is redline on the tach, and I think that should be safe for occasional bursts of intense power :lol: There has been some discussion on whether on not the 3FE has a rev limiter, mine hasn't shown one, but there is mention in the 88 new features manual from what I recall, and Tonkota (I believe) claims to have encountered one with his truck.

I just had to look and redline on my tach is 4500, I typically run up to 3500-3700 in the hills on pavement. The only issue I've noticed is gas consumption increases dramatically.

I suppose now I'll have to push mine and see if there's evidence of a rev limiter. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom