3FE rebuild- seized after 7 miles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is your shop standing up for the work? They contracted the machine shop, I assume, so the machine shop will foot the entire bill?
The shop warrantees their work for 1 yr, unlimited miles. Shop owner had the engine pulled and at the machine shop on the first day they were open. Shop owner gave me his cell number and called me with every update. Who covers the bill is between them, but its not on me.

The shop warrantees their work for 1 yr, unlimited miles. Shop owner had the engine pulled and at the machine shop on the first day they were open. Shop owner gave me his cell number and called me with every update. Who covers the bill is between them, but its not on me.
Nice to hear they are standing behind their work. That’s a rare thing to find nowdays.

Nice update, goodluck with the 2nd round of repairs

Hi, Hard to believe shops that do this all day long made this mistake. Mike

I was less than happy waiting for the tow truck Saturday morning. But the men running the shops are fixing the issue and prioritizing the fix. I will go back and will recommend both places.
Almost a year later... assume they got it sorted out? Everything still running ok?

?? do you mean from the point you first brought the vehicle back due to the damage seen above, the shop then replaced the block two more times and the the head once, twice, or ??

Details please.

?? do you mean from the point you first brought the vehicle back due to the damage seen above, the shop then replaced the block two more times and the the head once, twice, or ??

Details please.
Yep, that’s what I mean. They ended not being able to reuse my original block(i asked for an oil lab test) or head. Got a replacement bad block (requested an oil test again) with a good head and used a third block with the replacement head. Outside of that, not sure I can provide more details. I didn’t witness or assist in any of the machine work or assumed testing.

Details please.
Yep, that’s what I mean. They ended not being able to reuse my original block(i asked for an oil lab test) or head. Got a replacement bad block (requested an oil test again) with a good head and used a third block with the replacement head. Outside of that, not sure I can provide more details. I didn’t witness or assist in any of the machine work or assumed testing.
If I had to do it all over again, I would swap in a different motor.

If I had to do it all over again, I would swap in a different motor.
Wow, I don't really blame you. Really sorry to hear this was such a headache for you. Any idea where the oil leak is coming from?

I'm about to embark on a 3FE rebuild and while searching for info found your thread and thus the necro-bump.

Wow, I don't really blame you. Really sorry to hear this was such a headache for you. Any idea where the oil leak is coming from?

I'm about to embark on a 3FE rebuild and while searching for info found your thread and thus the necro-bump.
If you have the tools and space, rebuild it yourself. My oil leak is either the front of the oil pan or the crank cover. It is not a significant leak, as in I don’t add oil between changes but it leaves a drop or two everytime I park it. Not something I would expect after a rebuild using OEM parts. Hard to argue about it with the shop; they replaced the radiator at their cost and have been pretty accommodating. I had my rear exhaust break a weld and they fixed it at no charge. I will replace both gaskets eventually, I just got tired of being under it.

If you have the tools and space, rebuild it yourself. My oil leak is either the front of the oil pan or the crank cover. It is not a significant leak, as in I don’t add oil between changes but it leaves a drop or two everytime I park it. Not something I would expect after a rebuild using OEM parts. Hard to argue about it with the shop; they replaced the radiator at their cost and have been pretty accommodating. I had my rear exhaust break a weld and they fixed it at no charge. I will replace both gaskets eventually, I just got tired of being under it.
Im sorry to hear of your troubles.

I wonder why this shop had such a hard time with this engine. I guess they might not be too experienced with it as it’s not too common of a motor here.

Your thread is making me think just finding a replacement engine might be the best route if my 1fz ever gives up on life.

Oh well, hopefully you still get to enjoy the truck.

Im sorry to hear of your troubles.

I wonder why this shop had such a hard time with this engine. I guess they might not be too experienced with it as it’s not too common of a motor here.

Your thread is making me think just finding a replacement engine might be the best route if my 1fz ever gives up on life.

Oh well, hopefully you still get to enjoy the truck.
Based on what I’ve gathered, this is not the typical experience for this engine type or for this shop. I have put plenty on miles on this engine since the rebuild with no issues (excluding the minor oil leak). Ocotillo, Anza Borrego, Valley of the Moon, Ocotillo Wells, Bee Canyon, and plenty of uphill SoCal highway miles.

3AB0C514-0192-40B5-BAA9-1E2A7015EB7C.jpeg

72E9F350-74E1-4EFF-A156-B91A66D96CE7.jpeg

2E252C50-6C7C-4E3C-90D2-871CEB58AB0B.png

32D22C1E-AA12-47E8-9DCD-F532F7ABE7B4.jpeg

DEFA13C8-F60D-4083-A410-238705D2C1F1.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom