3FE rebuild incoming.. what else should I double check? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.iliketomakestuff.com
SO, after 11 months of sitting in the driveway, my 80 is getting it's rebuilt 3FE installed soon. But, since the truck has been sitting for so long, does anyone have recommendations of anything else on the truck I should check (other than new fluids) before I drop it off to get the heart transplant? Anything I should definitely grease? verify? clean?
I just REALLY want to avoid any other immediate problems once the engine gets installed, so any help would be great.
Thanks!!!

SO, after 11 months of sitting in the driveway, my 80 is getting it's rebuilt 3FE installed soon. But, since the truck has been sitting for so long, does anyone have recommendations of anything else on the truck I should check (other than new fluids) before I drop it off to get the heart transplant? Anything I should definitely grease? verify? clean?
I just REALLY want to avoid any other immediate problems once the engine gets installed, so any help would be great.
Thanks!!!
I would take pictures of the engine bay, particularly routing of wires, hoses etc. On my first rebuild, let's just say they didn't put everything back in the correct place.

If you're providing any parts, make sure it's documented.

A good cleaning of the engine bay would be considerate, possibly pre-soak any nuts/bolts that appear rusted or original with PB blaster.

If it's been sitting w/o being moved for that long, you'll need new tires. Yours have flat spots that won't round out. You'll notice front end problems you never had before.

I had egg shaped tires once on a vehicle I bought. It had sat for about a year, and it never went away. The "hopping" was awful over 55mph or so.

I assumed it was because they were cheap Costco tires (or maybe Walmart?) and that most quality tires don't flat spot that badly.

Re: rear heater lines, is that something to only start getting rid of with the engine + transmission out? I still haven't decided for my rigs about that.

Re: rear heater lines, is that something to only start getting rid of with the engine + transmission out? I still haven't decided for my rigs about that.

With the rear heater lines, the access would be way easier with engine out. Pretty sure you can also accomplish this with engine in place. This is only necessary if lines are in poor condition.
They were badly rusted on my FJ62, started weeping so I had to delete them.
On my 4Runner in Hawaii no need for a rear heater and since the lines had surface rust I decided to cut them out and bypass them while in the process of renewing all coolant lines.
The metal actually
turned out to be in decent shape. So, whether or not to pull them out might just depend upon your environment, perceived need and the current condition of the lines.
No way I’m messing with them on my 80. It’s not rusty at all.

For the OP: Great time for a manual transmission swap. 😀

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom