3FE Rear Main Seal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am resealing the 3FE that is eventually going in my 75 FJ40…. I am replacing the rear main seal but want to make sure I don’t mess up the new one. Engine is on a stand & I have the oil pan and rear bearing cap off… can I just tap in the seal.? Should I use any type of lubricant to help it slide in place. Anything else I should look for.

I am resealing the 3FE that is eventually going in my 75 FJ40…. I am replacing the rear main seal but want to make sure I don’t mess up the new one. Engine is on a stand & I have the oil pan and rear bearing cap off… can I just tap in the seal.? Should I use any type of lubricant to help it slide in place. Anything else I should look for.

With the rear bearing cap off, you can just push it gently on by hand, little or no tapping needed. I always put some assembly lube on the inside diameter of mine; grease would also do. Nothing on the outside diameter of the seal.

Luis agree with @1911, just work it in with the base of your thumbs. I did mine dry and it went right in.

Luis agree with @1911, just work it in with the base of your thumbs. I did mine dry and it went right in.

Thanks Kelly! I installed it earlier this evening along with the oil pan gasket.

If this is an OEM style seal with inner lips facing both directions, definitely add assembly lube or grease to the inner portion between the seal lips.
I didn't do this a couple years back and it was squealing like crazy on first startup. The area between the lips may not see oil assuming the seal is working properly.
If the seal is already installed and the clutch isn't installed yet, you can do this with a small needle type grease gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom