3fe Power Steering debacle! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK,
Help cure my frustrations with the power steering pump on this 3FE (1991)!
I am no stranger to bleeding power steering systems, since most of my rigs have hydro assist, but this pump is fighting me!
This newly acquired 80 had a very cold nature power steering pump that was always loud until warm, with some belt squeal. Last week I tightened the belt a tad, and as a result, the pump started caveating and pumping air like crazy causing it to foam up like crazy. Assuming maybe the pump was bad, I ordered a new reman unit and threw it on today, with a new Oring and new low pressure return lines. The high pressure line looked great and no leaks.

I dry bled it with no load and the front on jack stands conservatively 50 times, then on start up and lock to lock again started pumping air and foaming up. I finally got it to stop overflowing from the foam up, but of course now the steering is less than great.

Any thoughts or ideas? The steering is smooth, but curious if something internally in the box is causing it to burp air into the system? There is no jerking or dead or hard spots in the steering at all though. I will say the pump almost sounds like it runs a few second cycle where, with no load and just idling, it runs smooth for 3 seconds or so and then burps a few bubbles and is rough for only a second.Hard lock is of course whining on the pump!

I've read plenty on these pumps and lottos similar problems....any ideas what may be causing this?>
FYI, the PO went through a few pumpkin a year as well, inlacing a reman Toyota unit before getting it moderately passable like I did today.

Not that I can see. It’s fairly greasy right there so likely a small leak around the input from the steering shaft but no visible fluid leak.

If it's foaming, it's probably on the suction side and sucking in air. Could be the seal on the gear you are referring to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom