3FE Owners UNITE ! (exhaust mod) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Stock routing, gutted cats, cherry bomb 2.5"....sounded AWESOME!

Same setup except straight piped the cats.....too loud, but sounds like a rally car on the trials and a WAY TOO LOUD diesel truck on the road.

Although his setup, with gutted cats and some sort of muffler(s) is what I plan to have my system redone to.

Maybe not gutted cats, but as little as my rig gets/will be driven....I'm not too concerned with the exhaust routing. Sound? I'm trying to quiet down what I have now. With cats, it sounds really nice. Like a V8 w/ Flowmasters. But re-installing cats on my setup is more work than re-designing with much simpler routing.

this is the worst mod so far............ sorry old farts i should have listened. my mpg sucks and all it does is sound awesome. so the plan is to re-route it and put a muffler for more pressure. i guess this engine needs the back pressure more than i thought bc i used to get +/-15mpg and now i get +/-7.

I SHALL LISTEN TO OLD FARTS HAHA:)

There's a reason exhaust pipes are routed to the rearmost of the vehicle. You will most likely be sucking fumes back into the cab with this design.

First two posters: under 30

Last two posters: over 30

:D

I think there's a good correlation that can be inferred on why they've lived to be older than 30 too. :idea:

this is the worst mod so far............ sorry old farts i should have listened. my mpg sucks and all it does is sound awesome. so the plan is to re-route it and put a muffler for more pressure. i guess this engine needs the back pressure more than i thought bc i used to get +/-15mpg and now i get +/-7.

I SHALL LISTEN TO OLD FARTS HAHA:)

Generally, with louder exhaust, one tends to put more pressure on the skinny pedal for an increased butt-dyno effect :steer: hence the MPG drop. Though that's a pretty big drop.

I spent a hair under $1000 last year just on my exhaust system. Everything from the downpipes back was replaced; O2's, O2 bungs, cats, Y-pipe, muffler, piping upgraded to 2.5", and everything is tucked neatly up high. Sounds good with the Flowmaster 44 muffler. Not loud at all, but enough grunt to make one's hair stand up. Also a TINY bit of power gain, enough gain to not be a placebo, but not enough to justify spending $1000. Not why I did it though, I just wanted everything replaced and done right the first time so I wouldn't have to worry about it for another 10 years.

I believe that exiting your exhaust before the back axle is illegal in many states, you might want to look into that for your state...not sure. One thing is certain, and was previously mentioned...the main reason exhaust systems exit toward the rear is to lower the risk of carbon monoxide from entering the cabin...remember, this is a silent killer and effects far more people than you might imagine. Even with open windows you're at risk of carbon monoxide levels becoming unsafe in your cab. Just my .02 but I wouldn't run my exhaust short of the axles.

In addition, there was one more big no-no...from the looks of your pictures, you've exited your exhaust on the same side of the truck as your fuel fill...and in front of the axles...not a good thing. As you will see when you look at cars, the fuel fill on a car is always (not 100% of the time, but darn near it...excluding dual exhaust, but remember, these systems all exit at the rear of the vehicle...yours does not) opposite the exhaust...it's for a reason.

I would question the mechanic that would route this system...simply not a good idea.

yea learned my lesson haha, i already ordered a muffler and am gonna re-route the exhaust to stock but ill be using 2.5" so it sounds good. thanks for all the input dudes.

Generally, with louder exhaust, one tends to put more pressure on the skinny pedal for an increased butt-dyno effect :steer: hence the MPG drop. Though that's a pretty big drop.

I spent a hair under $1000 last year just on my exhaust system. Everything from the downpipes back was replaced; O2's, O2 bungs, cats, Y-pipe, muffler, piping upgraded to 2.5", and everything is tucked neatly up high. Sounds good with the Flowmaster 44 muffler. Not loud at all, but enough grunt to make one's hair stand up. Also a TINY bit of power gain, enough gain to not be a placebo, but not enough to justify spending $1000. Not why I did it though, I just wanted everything replaced and done right the first time so I wouldn't have to worry about it for another 10 years.

Under 30 ^^^ :popcorn:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom