3fe Oil Pressure Too High? URGENT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
3fe Oil Pressure Too High? Fixed Problem

I just changed the Oil on my 92 and as you 3fe owners know, when you pull the old filter out it pours oil all over everything. I was wiping stuff off and accidentally knocked a wire off my oil pressure sender. I simply put it back on and when I started the car the oil pressure went all the way up past high (guage in the dash). It has been reading too low recently anyways so I looked at the wires and they were all messed up. I fixed the wires and did some re-splicing and it is still reading as high as the guage will read in the car. Is this likely a bad oil pressure switch (if an Oil Pressure switch goes bad does it read no oil pressure or too high of oil pressure?). This may have been covered before but I couldn't find it and my parents are borrowing my LC and they want to leave tonight.

FIXED: I had accidentally shorted out the wires on the sending unit which fried the switch in the dash. If your guage goes up as high as It will go without coming back down then It might likely have happened to you as well. I fixed with a new oil pressure sending unit from CDan (thanks Dan, Great pricing, super service, fast shipping!) and a new Temp and Oil pressure guage from Cruiserparts.net.

Last edited:
You're gonna need to get the necessary documentation (FSM I believe) and a multimeter and check the sensor.

Crap I just read somewhere else that I mighta fried the switch in the dash. I think I accidentally hooked up the ground to the hot side or the hot side to the ground. The ground is the round part that is in the center and the hot tab is off to the side. The wires were screwed up an I think the switch was bad but now I'll probably have to buy the guage in the dash:mad: . Anyone know what this will cost? I know I could get a mechanical guage but I don't know If I want to. I want it to keep looking clean and factory in the cab.

If you unhook the oil pressure sending unit and the guage goes back to all the way low then it may be Ok. Either reverse the wires back or if thats not the prob then replace the sending unit.

replace it with a aftermarket combo setup:D and never look back,such as oil pressure/engine temp/andvolts. i payed 22 bucks or so for last kit i got

Pressure is looking good. I took pics of the new parts and of the guage reading great oil pressure (valvoline synthetic) but for some reason when I try to attach the file it says its invalid???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom