3fe not starting after being run -- (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
-- could this be vapor lock?

I am temporarily storing my cruisers, and yesterday took them to a new facility.

The '91 hadn't been run in 3-4 months, but started right up. After driving her for about 30 mins, to the new facility, I turned the truck off and then wanted to re-start it to move it to another spot --

-- no luck. Just cranked. It's full of gas, too --

-- I since haven't tried to start it --

Hopefully this is a one-time thing -- I will try and start her up later today --

-- thoughts? Experience with this?

THANKS!

e

erics_bruisers said:
-- could this be vapor lock?

I am temporarily storing my cruisers, and yesterday took them to a new facility.

The '91 hadn't been run in 3-4 months, but started right up. After driving her for about 30 mins, to the new facility, I turned the truck off and then wanted to re-start it to move it to another spot --

-- no luck. Just cranked. It's full of gas, too --

-- I since haven't tried to start it --

Hopefully this is a one-time thing -- I will try and start her up later today --

-- thoughts? Experience with this?

THANKS!

e

Put in a new EFI relay-funny-same thing happened to me last night. The wire from the EFI relay to the fuse and from the TE1 terminal in the ECU to the relay tend to get pretty hot. The fix is to increase (or otherwise decrease) the wire guage size. Open up the black box and check the underside. See if there is dicoloration in the wires going to the relay-also check the tabs of the relay they will be slightly discolored as well.

I always keep a spare on hand..hold on I'll go get ya the part #....

...okay back...90987-02004

I always have two of these on hand.

GP Sorenson has a direct replacement relay as well- They supposedly handle the heat better-but I found that it would regularly go out when the engine washot and then I would need to wait a while till it cooled to start the truck. I didn't really like that-although it never actually died completely. As such I keep a toyota relay in the box and a GP Sorenson as a spare.

Here are a couple of pics of the discolorations you may see-sorry the second pic is a bit out of focus.
EFI RLY F.JPG
EFI RLY R.JPG

thanks very much for this -- !!

i have the relay and stuff, but never had a need to swap it out -- now i may -- :D

thanks -- i'll give it a look --

e

hmm -- i went in the barn the next day and she started right up --

-- still think it's the relay?

e

cool -- thanks -- so it can cool down and heat up --

-- and when it heats up too much, it craps the bed --

thx --

e

New wire, plus use contact cleaner on the relay/connections. Then reinstall with a dab of dielectric grease on the contacts for long term insurance.

DougM

Hard starting when warm is also the main symptom of a bad fuel pressure regulator (on a 3FE at least.) Next time it happens check whether your CEL is coming on with the key in the "on" position, as it should, before you crank it. If not, that's another EFI relay symptom.

Curtis

If it is the EFI relay, I've always had better luck with the ones from Advance rather than OEM. When I burn an OEM, it's gone forever, but when one from Advance cripples me by overheating, a mere 30 minutes later it cranks back up. I now keep 3 in my glove box... 2 from Advance Auto and 1 OEM. After redoing my wires however, I've never needed to let the relay cool down.

From what I understand the internal difference between the 2 relays are the difference, but I'm not smart enough to really know, I just know my experience..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom