3FE no start after overhaul (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I purchased my 92 land cruiser earlier this year with a blown head gasket and not running. I am finally finished and ready to start the vehicle. It cranks but will not start and I do not have fuel at the rail. I looked at the EFI diagnostic sheet and started with the fusible links. I have brake lights, I have a dome light that works, check engine light is on, but I don't believe I have the charge light on in the dash. Unless on a 3fe the charge light is the little red light in the top right corner? With that being said I do have power to the 7.5 amp charge fuse, I learned to check this from the power source sheet that is posted on here multiple times. I checked continuity from the battery terminal to the other side of the fusible link and they all checked out.

During my troubleshooting I found with key on I only have 3.5v to the EFI fuse under the hood. This seemed very odd and unsure why there is not 12v there. My next plan is to jumper the B+ and the FP pins on the firewall and see if the fuel pump primes. I am planning on replacing the fusible link regardless because of the age, but would like to continue troubleshooting because it doesn't seem to be the issue.

From an electrical stand point everything seems to be working fine, have head lights, tail lights, interior dome lights, engine cranks well, I just know I don't have fuel to the rail but haven't checked spark yet.

Thanks Steve

The fuel pump does not "prime". It either runs or it doesn't.
Make sure you have a good +12 in the diagnostic connector on pin 8 (B+) before you go any further.
If good +12 on pin 8, then you can jump pin 8 to pin 1 (FP). The fuel pump should run with the key in the ON position.
If good +12 on pin 8, and FP not running with jumper in place and key in ON position, then verify +12 at FP through access panel between the center row seats.
If no good +12 at FP, then inspect FP wiring/connector under the body below the C pillar on the left side.

CheckConnector.jpg

Jon,

Thanks for your time and information it was really helpful. I did have power to B+ and jumped to the FP pin, still no dice. I ended up going to the fuel pump to check for power there, and with the FP jumped from B+ I did have power to the pump it was just not turning on. I removed the pump and it is an absolute mess, I'm not sure if water separated in the tank from sitting so long but it rusted terribly. So bad the sending unit was locked, I was able to get it free but I am going to work on sourcing another fuel pump assembly. Hopefully I can get one soon and try and get it fired.

Thanks Again!

Pictures of the fuel pump assembly. Never seen one look this bad before.
Well, yea. I guess you found the issue ;)
Damn, that's a mess. Once you source the replacement parts, be sure to clear out the fuel lines because I'm sure they're full of crap. Replace the inline fuel filter on the passenger side frame rail as well.

Just wanted to give an update, I found a replacement pump assembly and it fixed the issue. I had already replaced the fuel filter when I had the cylinder head off. The truck is running really well all things considered. I have to replace a drive flange to get it to move without the center diff locked but just excited to hear it run.

Thanks for the help

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom