3FE: Injectors not opening - Need troubleshooting help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

:bang:
It's important details like this that are important to mention when describing your issues.
We can't help you if you don't give the full story.
:bang:

These are the kinds of things that cause vehicles to run poorly. Go back through your repair and make sure it is still good.
Very true. I need to sit down and write everything out. I just saw you had similar symptoms as I'm having currently with a 62. The thread was left open so I thought your solution or @lelandEOD solution may help me or somebody else.

Now that the thread is revived I'll give put together a detailed write up and see if any one else has any thoughts

@cruisermatt he fixed the wiring issue a few months ago.

Will a failing crank position sensor cause a no-start condition on a 3FE?

@cruisermatt he fixed the wiring issue a few months ago.

Will a failing crank position sensor cause a no-start condition on a 3FE?

Still, when diagnosing an EFI issue “oh yeah 50% of my engine harness completely melted a few months back” is worth at least mentioning.

There isn’t a crank position sensor on a 3FE

There is one within the distributor, correct?

I mean, I guess thats technically a crank sensor. I don’t think it’s independent of the distributor. Does the tach work during cranking?

IIRC, the dizzy sensor is how the 3FE ECM (and 1fz ecm for that matter) determine the angle of the crank (indirectly) to be able to time fuel injection. When @NC LX and I were talking on Wednesday, that was my next suggestion to check. Seems like he's checked just about everything.

Is it not starting or is it running rough?
I would be going back through that melted wiring first. Even if it’s “repaired” sometimes issues can come up later, either corrosion in the repair or something else down the line got shorted. I’d be putting another engine harness in it.

Not starting. He repaired the harness and ohmed out every wire. Was running after the harness was repaired, and has since stopped running altogether.

Probably best for him to do a full list of everything he’s tried and checked.

Probably best for him to do a full list of everything he’s tried and checked.
Thanks for the thoughts. I’m watching the thread just haven’t had time to write a proper response yet.

I’ll get the full list this evening when things die down. Going back through a few things today double and triple checking.

As far as the harness I thought I missed something too. I have pulled the harness back out and ohmed every wire one by one and made sure it had perfect resistance back to the ecu. At the ecu I ohmed every wire from the ecu to the to the sensor it goes to and made sure it read what it supposed to.

I feel confident it’s not the harness.

The ecu was checked on another 62 and it ran fine.

I’ll continue my time line and everything I’ve done in a bit.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Random thought - Did you check the battery? My 62 is more project than functional vehicle with a 2016 costco interstate battery. Lately when I've had to move it I get all accessories powered but zero response when I turn the key - no groan, clicks or any typical low battery signs. 5 min on the battery charger and it fires right up.

I actually got it running yesterday. I took an igniter and coil from a 91 and wired it to the 62 igniter pigtail.

Random thought - Did you check the battery? My 62 is more project than functional vehicle with a 2016 costco interstate battery. Lately when I've had to move it I get all accessories powered but zero response when I turn the key - no groan, clicks or any typical low battery signs. 5 min on the battery charger and it fires right up.
Thanks for the thought. Yes I have a new battery. I had a similar issue when I first started working on it though. I upgrade my battery cables to zero gage welding cables. Spins over perfect now. Make sure your cables are good and connections tight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom