3FE ignition follies and experimentation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Looking at the Mallory ignition I installed in my 62 many years ago, I think having it triggered by the factory igniter might've been unnecessarily redundant. I was looking at my factory ignition schematic with the interest of swapping to a 4-pin HEI module for the sake of eliminating the extra complexity of the Mallory box, keeping the whole setup compact (the same way the factory setup was), and being able to keep a "trail spare" in case the module should die on the road or a trail at a cost much less prohibitive than an extra Toyota igniter ($470 for a new OEM!!). I like simplifying, but I honestly think keeping the Mallory box (which is multi spark capacitive discharge) would be the better way to go, and may or may not give me an improvement in either performance or economy if it was triggered directly by the ECU signal rather than coming from the ECU, through the igniter, and then going to the Mallory box. Caveat to that though; should the Mallory box ever fail, it's another pricey, very involved afternoon of work to replace it (not as costly as an OEM igniter, but easily twice the amount of time to swap), where an HEI module is a ten minute swap that can be done on a roadside or trail.

My 62's still at @torfab getting the tranny swap, but since I'm unemployed again for a while, when I bring it back to Spokane I'm going to play around with the triggering of my Mallory box and see if changing it will make any difference, and then maybe look into going the HEI module route anyway depending on my results.

Honestly I would love to do comparisons on a dyno to see exactly how much difference there is between ignition setups. Obviously it's too late for me to go back to a pure stock ignition without spending a bunch of money just to sate curiosity, but I might still see about comparing different installations of my Mallory box versus OEM spec and the DUI HEI modules (IF they can be made to work with a 3FE ignition, which I see no reason they can't, looking at the wiring schematic in my FSM).

This is just yet another of my "I'm gonna check this out and report what I find in case anyone else is curious" threads, of which I have several I've started that are kind of in process right now :hillbilly:

Have you thought about using another OEM ignition for another toyota that's more prevalent?

Have you thought about using another OEM ignition for another toyota that's more prevalent?
I had considered it briefly, but after this era, they changed so quickly that finding one that would work would be next to impossible. Any other compatible Toyota modules would be from the late 80s early 90s era and likely just as costly.

Good point

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom