3FE hesitation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Fuseable links replaced, in-tank fuel sock replaced, MAF back to stock and 1, 2, 3, and 4 teeth rich....still nothing! Starting to get aggravated here...anything new to try that doesn't cost $100+?

find your hot wire and your ground wire from your pump. then bypass the efi relay and all. reground and run you a new hot wire to a ignition source in the fuse block. im starting to think you have a breaking in your wiring for your fuel pump. and yes you can bypass the relay, mine been bypassed for almost 2 years now

This is on an FJ80, so there's already a hole there..makes life easier. The fuel pump is grounded right at the tank, all wires that I could see looked fine. Can the hot wire for the fuel pump be found under the hood, or am I looking at running new wire from the tank to the fuse block?

Some more info: the engine has completely died on me three times now, until this week it would never need to be turned over, but twice in the past 2 days things have lit up like a x-mas tree so I had to throw her in neutral and spin her back to life, twice while driving, once while idling.

This is on an FJ80, so there's already a hole there..makes life easier. The fuel pump is grounded right at the tank, all wires that I could see looked fine. Can the hot wire for the fuel pump be found under the hood, or am I looking at running new wire from the tank to the fuse block?
ok my 88 only has a hole for the sender:rolleyes: anyway run a new wire/why if its the same design as the 62 which im sure it is the is a connecter in the drivers side rear quarter that JUST LOVES TO FAIL. folks will spend hundreds of dollars trying to fix the traouble then learn this is what it was:crybaby: ask me i know, anyway hell its free :confused: give it a shot. just run a new hot wire;) . its in your wiring i know

Some more info: the engine has completely died on me three times now, until this week it would never need to be turned over, but twice in the past 2 days things have lit up like a x-mas tree so I had to throw her in neutral and spin her back to life, twice while driving, once while idling.
if the wire thery turns out to be wrong. then when it dies dont try to start it. just turn the key on and do a fuel pressure reading, even if its beside the road

No connectors in the quarter panel for me, just a 4 wire connector right above the fuel pump..which one is the hot wire?

Look at the coil and ignightor. There is a ground to the ignitor but that ususally is an "all the time" sort of issue.

Does it/did it get worse after driving a while or now that the weather is heating up? I chased that for a long while and it was the ignightor heating up and cutting out. Change it out with a known good used one.

Look at the coil and ignightor. There is a ground to the ignitor but that ususally is an "all the time" sort of issue.

Does it/did it get worse after driving a while or now that the weather is heating up? I chased that for a long while and it was the ignightor heating up and cutting out. Change it out with a known good used one.
dam i forgot all about that pesky ground wire:beer:

I unbolted and cleaned and checked that ground and it appeared good. Yes, it does seem to have gotten worse, but the weather hasn't been much warmer due to all these cold spells. I'm thinking it might be the coil/igniter, but that's an expensive gizmo to replace.

It's buttoned up now, but i remember blue, black, and red....
well you know then its a possibility;) now my experience with the cruiser igniters is they either work or they dont. but the ground is a issue on alot . not saying that they cannot slowly fail but they normally dont:beer:

well you know then its a possibility;) now my experience with the cruiser igniters is they either work or they dont. but the ground is a issue on alot . not saying that they cannot slowly fail but they normally dont:beer:

Yep, I have only seen 2 fail slowly but both did exactly what you describe. Try this.

Keep a midget in your back seat and arm him with a squirt bottle of cool water. When this happens have him/her jump out and spray down the ignightor. The quick drop in temp will get it working if that is the issue. It will get worse with time.

Its best to slow down or stop the truck before you send out the midget; unless ya got a fast one.

Yep, I have only seen 2 fail slowly but both did exactly what you describe. Try this.

Keep a midget in your back seat and arm him with a squirt bottle of cool water. When this happens have him/her jump out and spray down the ignightor. The quick drop in temp will get it working if that is the issue. It will get worse with time.

Its best to slow down or stop the truck before you send out the midget; unless ya got a fast one.
:lol: :lol: :lol: i had a oem fuel pump on my old 40 do that:lol: :lol: cold water and she would fire right up:lol: , no i was thinking the 91 coil was the same as the 88/62 and its not

I am currently having what sounds like the exact same problem with my 89 62.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom