3FE head vs. 2F head comparison (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
heyo-

so i just bought a 3FE injection setup and head this morning, i am STOKED! a stroked 3FE is on its way!

BUT-

in pulling the head out of my cruzah and taking a cursory look at it, i am a little shocked to see that the thing looks almost exactly like my late model ('86) 2F head!

if i could put all the EFI stuff on my 2F head, i would prefer to. the head was ported and polished, compression is now about 9:1, and the valves were cleaned up nicely. it would save me getting a 3FE head gasket and new exhaust plumbing too, saving me lots of cash.

i looked around a bit on the various archives that i know of and have found that the 3F (carbureted) was available in 1984. i have also HEARD that a new late model 2F head from toyota is the SAME as a 3F/FE head. i have also seen it mentioned that the compression in late 2F motors was higher than in the earlier models, implying there was a change in combustion chamber/piston choices.

other than the volume of the combustion chamber, are there ANY differences? if all mounting studs are the same, all ports are the same, i would much rather cut the project down to simply a wiring nightmare rather than an additional head job...

thanks for your time and knowledge!

e

I know some later 87"s had 3f head stuff. if it's got the cutout for the injectors in the head your good to go.. 3f injection heads have more mounting holes for the intake and exhaust manifolds as well instead of the staggered up and down pattern on a 2F they have both up and down in the same section on both.. If your really curious, go order a 3f intake mainfold gasket and set it up to your 2F mainfold gasket and you'll understand.. Dunno if I got a spare 2f one at the house or not to show but I think i have a 3f one? Not positive..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom