3fe head on 2f block? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I remember reading somewhere that a 3fe head can be put on a 2f block for fuel injection. Is there any documentation or experience with this? Just interested...

I, too read about this once, possibly in Toyota Trails. Only certain versions of the 2F work, the combustion chamber in the head has to match the block or the compression is wrong. Or something like that. If you figure it out, I want to do it.

Flat top pistons in the late modle 2F(08/80-on) compared to dome pistons in the earlier 2F's...

Good luck!

-Steve

I sware I replied to this?

Mark of Metal Tech has this set up in his fj62, 2f block under 3fe head.

But doing it the other way, putting a 3fe head on a 2F in a 60 or 40 is gonna be alot more work as you have to swap most the computer and crap.

also you would need to make sure all the holes are on the block for the PS, AC, ect, but I think the 79 block all have this and as Steve said the pistons changed in 8/80.....any fj60(or the same fj40) block should work.

if you had a fj62 or 80 that needed a block this would be the way to go but......it might be ALOT more work in a 40/55/60

John H

later model 2F block is a bolt on to the 3FE head. The computer system will not be a big deal. Just pull the entire 3FE harness and tack it into the 40. Leave the stock 40 harness for the accessories etc...

Why on earth would you want to do this? A mudh better swap would be non USA 3F head onto 2F block, carbed.

UUUUUMMMMMMM....

Fuel injection maybe...

also more power, the 2f block with 3fe head should be more cubes.......

[quote author=Poser link=board=1;threadid=13671;start=msg127051#msg127051 date=1080251962]
UUUUUMMMMMMM....

Fuel injection maybe...
[/quote]

[quote author=Landpimp link=board=1;threadid=13671;start=msg127080#msg127080 date=1080254571]
also more power, the 2f block with 3fe head should be more cubes.......
[/quote]

Only if you started with a 3F to begin with..

LOL........yeah your right ;)

[quote author=Mace link=board=1;threadid=13671;start=msg127083#msg127083 date=1080254787]
Only if you started with a 3F to begin with..

[/quote]

[quote author=Landpimp link=board=1;threadid=13671;start=msg126701#msg126701 date=1080187279]

Mark of Metal Tech has this set up in his fj62, 2f block under 3fe head.

[/quote]

Yup this was a great swap and relatively straight forward to do. The biggest issues was just building all new mounting brackets for all the accessories.

Drivability is what changed with this set up. The motor put out a noticeable HP and lowed torque change. It did not bog down on hills like before and hand much more “punch” on the HW. (if anything with PART of a 3F can have “punch”!) I really did not expect it to make that much difference. One small side issue, the 2F block is taller so the hood liner just touched the top of the head. Also the 2F block is obviously heavier since the front end was lower and the springs really needed another leaf added.

I think the 3FE head bumped up the compression, don’t quote me on that but the closed loop injection system did a great job “learning” the new displacement.

Over all it was a good move. I would not rebuild a 3F block, for a 62. Just put in a good 2F and you are in business. I understand the HF440 auto transmission in the 62 sucks a bunch of the power so if one did this swap with a manual trany I bet it will perform even better.

I sold this truck this past year. The new owner had no idea what he was getting, only that it drove well and I was selling it at a good price. He just always wanted a 60-62. Cruisers got’t love’em!

Mark

Mark, so you can't just swap the 3FE acc mounts from to the 2f block? I kinda would have thought they would swap.

John H

[quote author=helocat link=board=1;threadid=13671;start=msg127146#msg127146 date=1080262619]
Yup this was a great swap and relatively straight forward to do. The biggest issues was just building all new mounting brackets for all the accessories.

Drivability is what changed with this set up. The motor put out a noticeable HP and lowed torque change. It did not bog down on hills like before and hand much more “punch” on the HW. (if anything with PART of a 3F can have “punch”!) I really did not expect it to make that much difference. One small side issue, the 2F block is taller so the hood liner just touched the top of the head. Also the 2F block is obviously heavier since the front end was lower and the springs really needed another leaf added.

I think the 3FE head bumped up the compression, don’t quote me on that but the closed loop injection system did a great job “learning” the new displacement.

Over all it was a good move. I would not rebuild a 3F block, for a 62. Just put in a good 2F and you are in business. I understand the HF440 auto transmission in the 62 sucks a bunch of the power so if one did this swap with a manual trany I bet it will perform even better.

I sold this truck this past year. The new owner had no idea what he was getting, only that it drove well and I was selling it at a good price. He just always wanted a 60-62. Cruisers got’t love’em!

Mark

[/quote]

I have a 90 3fe motor in 78 fj and wanting to put 2f intake on it so that I can put aftermarket fuel injection, is the 78 2f head able to be put on the 3f motor so the intake will bolt up???? any suggestions thanks

I have a 90 3fe motor in 78 fj and wanting to put 2f intake on it so that I can put aftermarket fuel injection, is the 78 2f head able to be put on the 3f motor so the intake will bolt up???? any suggestions thanks
You would need to use a later 2F from an FJ60 to match the pistons, read up up where there’s a difference in the flat top vs domed pistons

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom