3FE Head in a 60 Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want to install a 3FE head in my 60. I've tried searching this forum for anyone who has done this but I only find folks installing the 2f block in their 62. Has anyone done this? I just need to know what is needed for the swap. I figure I need the intake/exhaust manifold off a 62, and a 3FE head gasket. Anything else anyone might be aware of?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick B.

You will be missing a TON of wiring, computer etc.

I would not attempt this without extensive knowlegde of the 3FE wiring harness, and most important, a donor 62. Buying just a head is going to leave you missing a lot of little bits and pieces...

IMO Chevy or megasquirt (do a search) injection is a better option.

I have the donor 62. However I don't know what else I will need to do this. Any adpaters maybe?

Thanks. Maybe I will document the install for future reference for anyone doing this.

Check the July/August (?) issue of Toyota Trails (you're in TLCA, right?) There is an article in there covering your question.

The toyota trails has a swap of the 3f block with a 2f. I guess it's the same process more or less. I was just wondering if anyone had swaped the 3FE head in a 60 and might give me any insight on any problems that he had faced doing so.

Just read the article. That was what I was looking for. Thanks Godwin.

One last question. Do I have to change the fuel pump (probably a stupid question) to the 3F fuel pump?

nikos8 said:
One last question. Do I have to change the fuel pump (probably a stupid question) to the 3F fuel pump?

A qualified yes. Fuel pump for the 3FE is an electric in-tank pump. A real PITA to deal with. Fuel tanks differ between the FJ60 and FJ62 in that the 62 tank has the provision for the fuel pump. You have to drop the entire tank (+ disconnect fuel lines, etc.) to access the pump. And the fuel lines are different between the two models because of the pumps. Now there may be alternative pumps available that would allow you to retain the FJ60 tank and lines but still deliver the pressure needed for the fuel injection. Just a guess on my part, though.

Godwin said:
Now there may be alternative pumps available that would allow you to retain the FJ60 tank and lines but still deliver the pressure needed for the fuel injection. Just a guess on my part, though.

You could probably use an inline pump if you don't want to swap the tanks. I haven't done this myself but it seems to be pretty common for increasing fuel supply for larger than stock displacement or supercharged/turbocharged engines. You *might* have to upgrade some of the rubber lines/fittings to handle the higher pressure required for fuel injection (~40psi)? Not sure about this. Shop around on summitracing.com or books on fuel injection swapping. Aeromotive is a brand that comes to mind. Again, no personal experience, just lots of time reading fuel injection books and hotrod and carcraft.

I'm not sure that this would be easier than swapping the tanks and fuel lines though. I have repeatedly heard that OEM style in-tank pumps are generally prefered so swapping the tanks and lines gets you an OEM in-tank pump and fuel delivery system that is specifically designed for the fuel injection system you're "installing". That alone makes it worth the effort to me.

Fuel Injection - Installation, Performance, Tuning, Modification is a great starting point book for dealing with fuel injection systems: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/08...2?v=glance&n=283155&n=507846&s=books&v=glance

That sounds like a lot of work. However, I think it might be woth it. This vehicle being my DD and I know this is not a one day job, I need to get her up and running ASAP. Can I install the 3fe head with the 2f exhasut/intake manifold and carb? That will give me some time to get the rest of the items I need to do the swap and still have a car to get around in.

P.S. I want to thank everybody for all their help.

Nick B.

You can use an inline fuel pump, I used one spec'd for a 5.0 liter mustang. It's not perfect, but it's worked well for me in my 40. Another big consideration is the exhaust. You will no doubt need a completely new exhaust system as the exhaust manifolds are so different. Now, if you have a donor 62, you could just pull the whole exhaust from there.

I do remember the driver-side head accessory mounting a little different. Can't remember quite how. Also, the fuel lines on the 3FE head will interfere with whatever (I forget) accessory is mounted on the high-passenger-side, you'll need a new belt and some spacers plus longer bolts to make it work. (I had to move my alternator on the 40 down).

nikos8 said:
Can I install the 3fe head with the 2f exhasut/intake manifold and carb? That will give me some time to get the rest of the items I need to do the swap and still have a car to get around in.
Yes. The 85-later 2F and 3F have the same head. The 3FE head is the same as 3F head, except for the extra machining of injector reliefs. therefore 3FE head is the same as 85-later 2F head. all 81-87 2F heads are interchangeable, therefore all 81-87 2F heads will interchange w/ 3F and 3FE heads.

If yo udo this, definately do a write up to share with the rest of us with round headlights, manual transmissions and dreams of fuel injection.

Four wheeler did a nice writeup on their website about swapping a 3fe for a 2f, they used a donor motor but the wiring harness stuff and little anciallary things are pretty well (ie picture) documented. http://fourwheeler.com/techarticles/129_0012_swap/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom