3FE FJ62 | Prepping to replace exhaust from y-pipe back, what's needed? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What nuts attach the rubber hangers?
Did you get the old exhaust off yet? There may be a mount that was cut off that the new rubber cushions secure to. I am going to crawl under mine and check how that section is mounted when I get home in 2 hours.

Did you get the old exhaust off yet? There may be a mount that was cut off that the new rubber cushions secure to. I am going to crawl under mine and check how that section is mounted when I get home in 2 hours.
I haven't taken it off yet, slotted for tomorrow though. I'll be headed to the hardware store for the angle grinder and whatever replacement bolts I need for the rubber cushions. As far as I can tell, the rear hanger/cushion still uses the OEM attachment.

7B6AC7BA-30D5-4CEB-8DCE-F327732ADACA.jpeg

Ok, I hit another blocker. The joint that meets the cat might as well be fused metal at this point. Been soaking these bolts in PH Blaster for 2 weeks and they will not move. I can’t lift the vehicle to get what ever tool I need to cut that under it, so I’ll take my parts to the local muffler shop.

I think the PO didn’t touch these bolts either, the old replacement section begins as a custom weld past the joint.

So this is what the mount just past the muffler looks like. In your photo, the angle made it look like it was part of the body, but there is actually a bracket that comes off a frame crossmember (same crossmember the shocks attach to). Yours appears intact, just covered by the welded on tab for the exhaust hanger, The rubber cushion will sit above this, then the new bolts go in from the top with nuts at the bottom of this tab to secure everything. Disregard the comment about chasing threads, not needed.

51149442328_d2d2fb2736_c.jpg

View attachment 2661430
Ok, I hit another blocker. The joint that meets the cat might as well be fused metal at this point. Been soaking these bolts in PH Blaster for 2 weeks and they will not move. I can’t lift the vehicle to get what ever tool I need to cut that under it, so I’ll take my parts to the local muffler shop.

I think the PO didn’t touch these bolts either, the old replacement section begins as a custom weld past the joint.

Just cut those suckers off! Cut off wheel should easily reach them. No need to take to a shop!

Nut splitter would work as well. $15 at HF.

I’ll check out that splitter to see if it’ll work. Would the angle grinder cutter work on these?

What’s the best way to cut bolts?
Cut off wheel in the angle grinder is your best bet. Angled like this.... (have a flap wheel in there, pretend its a cut off wheel). You can do it! Cut on the nut side because if you nick the flange, its on the muffler side that you are replacing anyways.

51150026539_1d4a66c350_c.jpg

Cut off wheel in the angle grinder is your best bet. Angled like this.... (have a flap wheel in there, pretend its a cut off wheel). You can do it! Cut on the nut side because if you nick the flange, its on the muffler side that you are replacing anyways.

51150026539_1d4a66c350_c.jpg
Ok, this looks like something I can do. It’ll be a good learning experience!

I’ll pick up that Milwaukee grinder and those disks tomorrow.

68101257-DFFA-4523-97EA-BEC86245B221.jpeg
Was able to finally get the hanger off, some material is still there, but I was able to clean it up quite a bit.

Now I’m waiting for the POR15 to cure on that area.

It's on. I bet you could use a ratchet strap to get the hanger to line up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom