3FE FJ62 | Prepping to replace exhaust from y-pipe back, what's needed? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, I'm prepping to fix the back half of the exhaust on my FJ62 since it has rust/collapse around the hanger. I found a new OEM section from the y-pipe back: https://shop.cruiserparts.net/index...=34417&zenid=f35dd3b6afbcab3a2de420034a65e37e
I think it should be a simple enough swap, hopefully I don't need to cut any bolts, if need be I can.

I've already ordered the main exhaust part, what gaskets will I need for the connection from the y-pipe to the new assembly? Will stainless bolts from a hardware store work or are there OEM options?

Here's the current state(main connection is wet from preemptive PB blaster):
IMG_3943.jpeg
IMG_3944.jpeg
IMG_3945.jpeg

Just about to do this myself
You need one pipe assemply, two rubber mounts with 8 nuts and one flange gasket

View attachment 2644608

View attachment 2644609

View attachment 2644610

View attachment 2644611

View attachment 2644614
Hey, good evening! I’m wondering if you know if the gasket you show 90080-43026 is the gasket that is used between the y-pipe and the manifold? Also. I’m guessing it is the same gasket between the y-pipe and the 2nd converter? Thank you in advance!
Mike

Hey, good evening! I’m wondering if you know if the gasket you show 90080-43026 is the gasket that is used between the y-pipe and the manifold? Also. I’m guessing it is the same gasket between the y-pipe and the 2nd converter? Thank you in advance!
Not sure but this one will work as I did that a couple of months ago.
Parts stores will give you the wrong one. Its wrong n their computers.
This part number is the actual one.
1618623847194.jpeg

Last edited:
Mike

90080 43026 is what I ordered for the gasket. Haven't installed the muffler yet though.

Still waiting on my pipe to get in, but I've got most of the rest. Will update here with the inevitable questions.

Got most of the parts in, but hit a snag. The muffler mount point looks custom and is welded on(and broken) in addition to shooting exhaust right on my shock.
Looks like I’ll need to take these parts to a shop so they cut off the old hanger.

DEC562D3-0B06-4AC6-B7A0-BCF30E1C23EE.jpeg

Got most of the parts in, but hit a snag. The muffler mount point looks custom and is welded on(and broken) in addition to shooting exhaust right on my shock.
Looks like I’ll need to take these parts to a shop so they cut off the old hanger.

View attachment 2660431

It looks like a mount was welded right over the threaded holes for the original mount, you can almost see them at the edge of the new mount (towards front of vehicle). Just grab a die grinder or cut off wheel and carefully remove, then reevaluate. If the original threaded holes are still good, no need to go to a shop. You might have to chase them but that should be it.

It looks like a mount was welded right over the threaded holes for the original mount, you can almost see them at the edge of the new mount (towards front of vehicle). Just grab a die grinder or cut off wheel and carefully remove, then reevaluate. If the original threaded holes are still good, no need to go to a shop. You might have to chase them but that should be it.
I don’t have either of those tools, which one would be better to pick up?

I don’t have either of those tools, which one would be better to pick up?

Die grinder will be a bit more maneuverable but I think the 4 1/2 angle grinder will fit in there. Should be able to find the Milwaukee at any big box store. It looks like there are only 3 spot welds holding the improvised mount on so it should come off easily.

Remove the old exhaust first so you have more room. Since the hanger is no longer attached to the exhaust, the exhaust itself should come right off once you remove the rear most mount and the two flange bolts where it connects to the y pipe.

Ok, I can likely source one this weekend. Should I take off the beaded metal globs on the mounting bracket with the grinder?

Yes. I would pick up some 4 1/2 aluminum oxide cut off wheels, along with a few flap (abrasive) discs in 40 or 60 grit. Get a type 29 abrasive disc, the slight angle makes grinding out welds a bit easier. I would start with the cut off wheel and basically cut into each spot weld until you are almost into the bracket that comes off the frame. At that point, you should be able to pry the mount off. Then clean the area up with the abrasive disc. It looks like they missed the original threaded holes when the improvised mount was welded on. Make sure the new bolts go in ok, if not, get a thread chaser in there. Leave the bolts in and hit the area with some self etching rattle can primer in black before mounting the new exhaust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom