3FE fan blade clearance (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A few months ago I did a fairly deep water crossing. Since then I noticed the fan hitting the fan shroud. I checked and the shroud had come out of it's slot near the bottom, so I fixed it. But later it was still doing it. Took a closer look today and only 1 blade is hitting it, all the other blades have plenty of clearance. Very strange! I just wondered if anyone else has had this happen? It's a 1992 and turns 30 in August. Took a close-up and you can see where it ground down the edge of the blade. I'm going to heat up the blade and twist it so the pitch is more like the others.

Quick question while you're reading, the whole "heavier oil in your fan clutch", does this apply to us lucky ones with a 3FE? Seems like its for the newer engines within the 80 series.

IMG_5931.jpg

I'm going to heat up the blade and twist it so the pitch is more like the others.
Wow. That is the exact wrong choice. Please purchase a new OEM fan (16361-61050). Old fan blades blowing apart at speed can really make a mess of things under the hood.

If you fan is hitting your fan shroud, check your engine mounts and tranny mount. Also, i have a green Aisen fan clutch i opened and added thicker oil and yes, you can also time the clutch and make adjustment as well. But a factory hub should work well.

"Wow. That is the exact wrong choice." Cracks me up!
Didn't think about the fan blowing apart. I'm going to get a new one.
Thanks John Held!

I thought about mounts being off especially since it started after going through the river. But it is just one blade, all other blades have standard clearances.

Got the new fan and fan clutch in. Took it off - NO PROBLEM. Great I'm rolling now.

Putting her back on and hit the pulley off so now have to loosen the alternator belt which was a pain. That's okay. Keep calm Joe!

Finally got it going and the studs for the nuts that connect the pulley and fan clutch are all boogered up!

Dad-gummit! Looked to be a simple job, 4 nuts right!

Where can I find new studs? (2) of the (4) are bad, picture is (2) bad and (1) good. Couldn't get the other good one out so left well enough alone.

IMG_5963.jpg

IMG_5966.jpg

My fan shroud cracked from a broken engine mount and the fan took a chunk of the plastic and grenade my Ron Davis radiator out on the trail. $2000 later, new fan, fan shroud, new engine mounts, new RD radiator, new thermostat and gaskets. Pulled the radiator out of the engine to examine the damage, and you can see from the picture just how destructive the damage was.
20211010_161719.jpg

Where can I find new studs? (2) of the (4) are bad, picture is (2) bad and (1) good. Couldn't get the other good one out so left well enough alone.
Water pump studs for fan clutch - 16198-41050
Associated nuts - 90179-08123 for OEM
Absolute Wits End also has some larger shoulder nuts which I prefer:

(2) studs stripped and (1) nut. Went to ACE hardware and got studs and nuts. They were just "threaded rod" type without the "stop" in the middle. so I wrapped a piece of thin wire around the stud where I wanted it to stop screwing in. Worked well! I put a cheap nut on one of the studs that I don't like and will replace in the future.

Then I couldn't get the shroud back on, the threaded clip things weren't aligning. It's an aftermarket all aluminum radiator. I drilled out the holes to get it to work. Weird thing is I took it off and put it back on withoug incident many times in the last few weeks trying to get it not to hit the fan.

She fought me a bit, but test drive is good - no more fan tick. Taking her with 2 canoes on top to the river Thursday, I think she'll make it.

IMG_5971.jpg

"you can see from the picture just how destructive the damage was"

WOW! I'm glad I put the new fan and clutch in. Trying to squeeze my hands in there with the belts and such is a HUGE pain, but worth it.

The temp guage was always a little above half way which concerned me. It went there again during the test drive so I think my old fan clutch was still working properly, we'll see next summer if it stays any cooler. I'm kind of happy to see it above halfway, I was worried about heat this winter.

"you can see from the picture just how destructive the damage was"

WOW! I'm glad I put the new fan and clutch in. Trying to squeeze my hands in there with the belts and such is a HUGE pain, but worth it.

The temp guage was always a little above half way which concerned me. It went there again during the test drive so I think my old fan clutch was still working properly, we'll see next summer if it stays any cooler. I'm kind of happy to see it above halfway, I was worried about heat this winter.
I hope you have an aftermath temp gauge and not based on the stock gauge reading.. mine is always half or a little less than half, the minute it goes over half, my aftermarket temp gauge is reading 225 plus

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom