3FE engine "wobbling" or "pulsating" - Any ideas? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Fair enough. For me I’ve replace most of the spark side in the last 10k (cap, rotor, plugs, wires) and just finished replacing most of the air supply side (new intake boot, air filter, Pcv valve, most vacuum lines). When mine does it, if I let off the gas and go to idle I can push back on the pedal and it is better.

Out of curiosity, when you pop open your gas cap do you get a ton of back pressure (hissing)

Fair enough. For me I’ve replace most of the spark side in the last 10k (cap, rotor, plugs, wires) and just finished replacing most of the air supply side (new intake boot, air filter, Pcv valve, most vacuum lines). When mine does it, if I let off the gas and go to idle I can push back on the pedal and it is better.

Out of curiosity, when you pop open your gas cap do you get a ton of back pressure (hissing)

Yeah, I chased a vacuum leak a couple of years ago, replaced ALL the vacuum hoses, and ended up solving a rough/low idle when I replaced the valve cover gasket and all the grommets, and PCV valve. This is different.

When I go to fill up, the gas cap does hiss some... I wouldn't say a "ton of pressure", but maybe I'm just used to it after 15 years.

Edit: This thread might help, if your issue is a vacuum leak -

Last edited:
Well, apparently (hopefully) I finally got it fixed!

Ran into a guy I know who used to own a mechanic shop, and as soon as I mentioned the "washboard highway" thing, he said "spark plug wire". So, I ordered new wires, and replaced them... Drove about 20 miles, with 3-4 start-ups/shut-downs, and she started the "engine wobble/washboard" thing again.

The next day, I replaced distributor cap and rotor (which I know I SHOULD have replaced at the same time as plugs and wires)... and she seems to be running fine after 100miles+/-, and a dozen or so start-ups/shut-downs.

Keeping my fingers crossed, but so far, so good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom