3FE engine oil (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
what's everyone using? I am in texas and have been using 10w30 on all my cruisers. should I be using something thicker for the 3fe?

jason

what's everyone using? I am in texas and have been using 10w30 on all my cruisers. should I be using something thicker for the 3fe?

jason
in my opinion i don't think anybody should use oil thicker than 10w-40,on my trucks i use 10w-40 and on my wifes car 10w-30.most ppl think thicker oil is better specially on high mileage vehicles.if you take care of you stuff it should last a long time if you haven't notice on newer cars they are running 5w-20 much thinner oil,reason is they want the oil to circulate quicker also they running oil pres.at a lower level on idle as low as 10 psi.having 20w-50 oil just don't make sense to me coz it will not flow as fast as lighter oil specially on start-ups. that's just me. john

10W30 Mobil 1 in mine. I figure it is a good year-round compromise for the land where vehicles all have 110v plugs hanging out the front.

Last edited:
I used 20W-50 in my 3FE for the first time this summer and it purrrrrrred like I've never heard before and performed well too!

Mobile1 15-50... 225k miles. It loves it! (well the rear main seal doesn't, but thats a different story)

Rottella 15W40

I'm new to the Cruiser community but I've had some high mileage Toyotas, VW diesels and Jeeps and ran Rottella in all of them and WIX filters if possible. Most mechanics I trust also discouraged using Mobil One --not that it was bad but preferred to see oil changed more often versus the synthetic--I don't know. I know people who swear by the AMSOIL too.

20/50 here too!
No issues with 224K on the clock!

Chicago

So I'm going to change all my oil in the truck. I'm looking for what I should put in front diff, rear diff, auto transmission. I think I will go to 15w-50 Mobil 1 in the engine, I really liked it in the BMW and it seems like everyone here is happy no matter what oil they are using. Either noone knows what they're talking about, or our trucks really don't care!

What does the owner's manual call for, in So. Cal. climate? (Don't have an owner's manual to check).

And do you all recommend the same oil for break-in?

'85 FJ60

Mr. T's take on it
oil.jpg

Thanks, Roc Doc. I see that I might have to run 15-50 in summer as it gets consistently in the 90-100 degree range here. Probably 10-40 winter.

Thanks again for that post and pic!

S.

My go-to is a K&N HP3001 filter (equal in quality to OEM Toyota, HOWEVER the 1" hex head on top makes it way convenient to remove and install), 6qts of Mobil-1 High Mileage 10W-40 and a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil. Runs beautifully, no sludge buildup, and keeps my valve train quiet. It actually works so well that when I DO hear valve train noise, that's my signal that it's time to adjust, and sure enough at least one of them is loose by that point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom