3fe efi onto a 2f (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve got a 75 fj40 in great shape and a 88 fj62 that’s a great runner but completely rotten... i started thinking about retrofitting the efi from the 3fe onto the 2f. I found one thing on here that people have done it by retrofitting the 3fe head onto the 2f.... just wondering on any insights on this, any details on head gaskets, What about all the emissions junk? Is it even worth it? Or should I just shell out the cash for a sniper? Thanks

3FE is a solid motor in a 40 mated to the existing drive train. I’d just go for a straight swap since you have an existing motor you know about as opposed to building a 2FE. You’d have to source a later 2F with flat top pistons to combine with your 3FE head, I don’t think your existing 2F would work with its dome top pistons.

My wife bought Tucker74’s 40 after he swapped in a running 3FE and it was a blast to drive. Search for his old build thread.

Wiring is time consuming but very doable.. you have a donor. Use the power steering also. Just do it. Swap the whole 3fe build a 2fe later. My thread has some wiring tips and some steering tips.

Originally I was thinking of swapping the 3fe, but read threads about how it’s powerband is in the higher rpm range and really not desirable for wheeling.... never have driven a 3fe before, you guys with the 3fe; have you ever wheeled your rigs? How does the 3fe compare to the 1f/2f ? Is the 3fe more like the 1fzfe? Unfortunate, the 60 is such a rust bucket with no brakes that I can’t drive it to compare.
I’m building the fj to daily drive AND to wheel. I’m used to the low end of the 1f/2f but also own an 80 and do love the 1fzfe. thanks!

I don't wheel mine on official trails but have done some 4-wheeling with my 3fe equipped 40. I have the 5 speed H55f and in low 4wd and 1st gear it just creeps along and will go anywhere. I also put in an idle-up switch that will increase idle to 900 rpm using the AC idle up function in the ECU. It will go 80 on the highway in 5th gear if you are brave enough to do it. The wiring isn't that bad, there is a lot of info on here how to do it.

The 3F is just a de-stroked 2F, Toyota's last-ditch effort to extend the production life of the venerable F Series. De-stroking it allowed it to rev faster and have a higher rpm red line, the better to try and keep up on modern freeways, at the cost of the loss of some of the lower-end torque. But the difference is not that dramatic, and the addition of EFI helped make up the difference in felt power.

So with the combination of both, the so-called 2FE, you get the longer stroke and better torque of the 2F and the EFI of the 3FE. While you're doing that, you can also shave the head a bit to bump the compression ratio and wake it up a bit more. The 3FE also has a less restrictive exhaust manifold. But it is a fair bit of work to combine the two, and to incorporate the engine control module of the 3FE into the stock 2F wiring harness. If you're a good mechanic and good with modifying wiring harnesses, it would be a fun project with bragging rights when you're done. Otherwise, a Holley Sniper on your 2F is going to give you the most bang for your buck, and it's going to be way easier and faster to do.

Hmm ok, now that you guys have me completely rethinking my drivetrain, the fj62 is an automatic. My initial thought was 2fe with four speed and Orion box. Now, I’m thinking of using the complete drivetrain. I know the drivetrain is longer but my fj is actually a 43 so I should have enough driveshaft length... Any thoughts? Or, how difficult would it be to set up the ecu for the manual? I’m assuming I could use the bellhousing to 4speed. But spline count probably would not work

Hmm ok, now that you guys have me completely rethinking my drivetrain, the fj62 is an automatic. My initial thought was 2fe with four speed and Orion box. Now, I’m thinking of using the complete drivetrain. I know the drivetrain is longer but my fj is actually a 43 so I should have enough driveshaft length... Any thoughts? Or, how difficult would it be to set up the ecu for the manual? I’m assuming I could use the bellhousing to 4speed. But spline count probably would not work
get an OD with the A/T. get the better of the T/C. With the axles get 4.11 fine splines and more width.

i would NOT use the Auto from the fj62. The reason there are so many donor 3fe's is the a440 dies. You can use the tcase but the vacuum engagement for 4wd will not clear the framerails on a 40. the 3spd and 4spd bell housings bolt right up to the 3fe. if you plan on running an H55f then there are minor clearances needed but the 4spd bellhousing will work with the H55F 5spd.

i would NOT use the Auto from the fj62. The reason there are so many donor 3fe's is the a440 dies. You can use the tcase but the vacuum engagement for 4wd will not clear the framerails on a 40. the 3spd and 4spd bell housings bolt right up to the 3fe. if you plan on running an H55f then there are minor clearances needed but the 4spd bellhousing will work with the H55F 5spd.
Awesome thanks! What about using the four speed. I already have an Orion box. I was wondering about the 3fe ecu auto compatibility to manual

works. one neutral safety switch bypass and potential vss which is covered in multiple ways, some in the cluster, some on the tcase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom