3FE Died While Driving, Cranks Hard, No Spark, No Start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Everyone,

FNG here. Have read many threads, but this is my first post. Not exactly a gear head, but know just enough to get myself into trouble, land myself an IH8MUD account, and hope @jonheld responds to my thread. ;) Im going to try to give you as much info as i can up front:

I have a 1991 Land Cruiser, purchased used and what I believe to be just about bone stock. Odometer reads around 218k, but it was a replacement and the car should really have around 185k (so says the PO).

Ive owned it for about 2 years, no real problems with it up until this point.

CEL seems to toggle on and back off over and over again, switching every 100 miles or so. I checked codes about a year ago (can't remember what they were but i was tinkering with the EGR valve, which seemed fine and I didn't replace any parts, and CEL toggling continued).

Last Tuesday i started it up, rather slow start which seems common when its cold (50° is cold in San Diego) in the mornings, and when i put it into gear and began driving, the motor was sporadic and kind of bogging when on the gas. This was abnormal, but after about a block or so it seemed to normalize. Then about a mile from my house going about 40 mph, the motor just shut off, as if it ran out of gas (but still had 1/2 tank), and hasn't started since.

After having it towed back home, I stumbled upon this site (not my first time on it), started searching, found a little info, and started tinkering.

My gut feeling was lack of fuel, so I started there and jumped B+ to FP, and heard the pump run. Next i rented a fuel pressure tester kit and did that, and read ZERO PSI (had a feeling i might have not been using the system right, and looking back it was probably the case - how do you get fuel pressurized? Keep B+ connected to FP?). Anyway, assuming 0 PSI was correct, i disconnected the fuel line after it passes through the filter, jumped B+ to FP, and out flowed gas (slowly). So, based on my "zero" PSI reading and what looked like a slow flow after the fuel filter, i replaced the fuel pump. Didn't fix my no start - awesome.

My next step (which probably should have been my first) was to spray starter fluid into the intake. Didn't get 'er started, so my thought became "its not fuel at all - awesome!"

On to spark i went! I pulled spark plug wires, #3 plug wire connector turned to a pile of rust powder when i removed it, and #4 wasn't far from that. In addition, I tried to check spark on spark plug wire #1 with the plug in it and grounded to the block, and got no spark at all. At this point, I figured i needed new plugs and wires regardless, so threw those in, cleaned off a little buildup on the inside of the distributor cap connectors and rotor, and to no ones surprise, she still didn't start.

Now, i used a multi meter to check resistance of the ignition coil, and read .6 to .7 ohms i believe on the primary (high?), and about 10k ohms on the secondary ( maybe a little low?). These seemed maybe a little outside of normal ranges based on some threads/repair manuals I've seen here and online, but is it enough to be the problem? Or is there something else I should check before replacing? Any normal voltage that should be here when trying to start?

In sum:

- Died while driving
- Hasn't started since but engine cranks hard
- CEL is ON when the ignition is in the "On" position but motor is not running
- No start after spraying starter fluid into intake
- No spark at plug when trying to start it (with either old or new plugs and wires)
- I unknowingly cleared the codes when i checked the EFI fuse near the beginning of this whole process (forgot to mention that earlier).
- when holding the distributor end of the high tension cord (disconnected) near the body of the car (ground), i saw no spark (dunno if this is a test you experts use, but I'm assuming it means no spark coming from the coil?)

Any thoughts, input, or questions are appreciated!

Also, couple other misc questions regarding the pictures I've attached:
1) Anyone know what the Bosch black box is just next to my fuse box? Haven't seen it in other photos of 3FE's
2) Can this car run without an "EFI Main" relay? When i opened the fuse box under the hood, it looked exactly like the picture (no EFI Main)
3) What is the little gray device under the black ignition coil? And how can i test it if i need to?

Sorry for the book. Like i said, I'm the FNG, so bear with me if any of my verbage is making you cringe :lol:

Cheers
- Rex

Attachments

• Fuse Box.pdf
    560.2 KB · Views: 208
  • Ignition Coil.pdf
    226.9 KB · Views: 154
  • Ignition Coil 2.pdf
    205.4 KB · Views: 121
1) Bosch black box is a generic relay. It could be used for auxiliary lighting, etc. It appears to be wired into and underneath the fuse box which would lead me to believe that it may be your EFI relay that is missing missing in the fuse box.
2) Car will not run without the EFI relay. Many owners have relocated the relay to inside the cab to keep it cool. Problems with starting occur when it gets hot due to engine temperatures and undersized/old wire going to it.
3) The grey box is your diagnostic box. It is where you can pull the CEL codes with a paperclip.

Sounds like your igniter/coil pack or distributor has gone bad. I would inspect your distributor pickup coils for corrosion. This is an easy visual check and if they look bad, they either need to be changed (sourced from a salvage yard only) or change the distributor. If your distributor cap does not have the vacuum ports or does and the vacuum hoses were not hooked up properly, your pickup coils are probably corroded.

I'm sure others will chime in on more testing procedures to be performed instead of just replacing parts.

Here's the guru's (@jonheld) diagnostic flow chart. Follow it very closely and your issue will more than likely be found:
http://www.sdsysdesign.com/tlc/images/Strife/3FE EFI Diag.pdf

Welcome to MUD!

Last edited:
With the key "ON" before starting, is the CEL illuminated? Without that it isn't going to start. That could point to fusible links or EFI relay. Jon Held has has document that is widely referenced here on MUD with the proper procedure for debugging the no start issue. The search button will be your friend. Stop replacing parts randomly, as its possible to create new problems, until you logically diagnose the problem.

1) Bosch black box is a generic relay. It could be used for auxiliary lighting, etc. It appears to be wired into and underneath the fuse box which would lead me to believe that it may be your EFI relay that is missing missing in the fuse box.
2) Car will not run without the EFI relay. Many owners have relocated the relay to inside the cab to keep it cool. Problems with starting occur when it gets hot due to engine temperatures and undersized/old wire going to it.
3) The grey box is your diagnostic box. It is where you can pull the CEL codes with a paperclip.

Sounds like your igniter/coil pack or distributor has gone bad. I would inspect your distributor pickup coils for corrosion. This is an easy visual check and if they look bad, they either need to be changed (sourced from a salvage yard only) or change the distributor. If your distributor cap does not have the vacuum ports or does and the vacuum hoses were not hooked up properly, your pickup coils are probably corroded.

I'm sure others will chime in on more testing procedures to be performed instead of just replacing parts.

Here's the guru's (@jonheld) diagnostic flow chart. Follow it very closely and your issue will more than likely be found:
http://www.sdsysdesign.com/tlc/images/Strife/3FE EFI Diag.pdf

Welcome to MUD!

Thanks for the reply and welcome!

1) Is there a way for me to check the Bosch black box to make sure its working as my EFI relay? I'm not suspecting its a problem here, but doesn't seem as easy as the regular EFI relay I've seen, where you just unplug it and plug another in. It is running to the under side of the fuse box, so i think you might be correct there.

3) The gray box you're referring to is the one mounted on the back side of the engine bay on the passengers side right? I have been using that a bit, but I was asking about the metallic/gray device directly under the ignition coil. Its like the ignition coil is mounted to it. Maybe its the ignitor or just part of the coil?

Also, I have looked at that flow chart from Jon and it has been helpful in testing the ignition coil (which came out a little off as mentioned in my initial post), but I got hung up on the "distributor pickup coil" part. Wasn't sure what that part was, but looks like just a harness under the distributor cap?

Thanks again, super stoked on this forum and the helpful people in it!:cheers:

That is the igniter.

With the key "ON" before starting, is the CEL illuminated? Without that it isn't going to start. That could point to fusible links or EFI relay. Jon Held has has document that is widely referenced here on MUD with the proper procedure for debugging the no start issue. The search button will be your friend. Stop replacing parts randomly, as its possible to create new problems, until you logically diagnose the problem.

CEL IS Illuminated when key is in "on" position, so that isn't the issue i don't believe. Ive read through a ton of Jons posts via the search bar, just getting hung up on some of the diagnostic techniques and terminology i think, and hoping to have a little direction in my diagnostics.

I think next i need to test the distributor pickup coil mentioned in Jons almighty document and see how that turns out. I will do that and keep you guys posted, but let me know if there is anything else you think i ought to consider or if based on what I've said, you even agree i have "no spark".

Thank you!!!!!

The silver box is the igniter. I had a problem with mine. I got a known good one and swapped it in and no problems since. I sourced a second known good one and keep a spare now. Maybe there is someone nearby that can let your swap in their known good one to see if it works.

If you end up needing one you can check with @arcteryx aka Jason aka Cruiser Yard to see if he has one available.

Screen Shot 2017-05-20 at 3.20.04 PM.png

Based on my numbers on the primary and secondary ignition coil resistances (.6 - .7 ohms, and 10k ohms respectively), do you guys think thats a problem? Also, is there any particular voltage that should be coming through with the key in "on" or when trying to start? If so, how do i test and what readings should i expect?

And same questions for the ignitor and distributor - are they testable, if so how, and what are normal readings?

I ordered the FSM on eBay before i saw i could get it from Jon, and it won't be here till tuesday, so I apologize for any questions that are easily answered by the manual!

You all rock!

The silver box is the igniter. I had a problem with mine. I got a known good one and swapped it in and no problems since. I sourced a second known good one and keep a spare now. Maybe there is someone nearby that can let your swap in their known good one to see if it works.

If you end up needing one you can check with @arcteryx aka Jason aka Cruiser Yard to see if he has one available.

View attachment 1463357

Thanks for the info!

Did you have similar symptoms before you changed the ignitor? Die while driving and no start after? CEL on when key "ON", hard crank, no spark?

Ignitors seem hard to come by? Thanks for the direction!

Thanks for the info!

Did you have similar symptoms before you changed the ignitor? Die while driving and no start after? CEL on when key "ON", hard crank, no spark?

Ignitors seem hard to come by? Thanks for the direction!

IIRC I did. It was about 9 years ago. I was going through some serious medical issues so my brain is a bit foggy. I remember it dying right by a Panera in Fishers, IN. I was able to research it on Mud and a local guy came and helped me out with a spare igniter.

If you can't find an igniter over the weekend message me your name and address. I can ship you out my spare to use until you locate one or to rule that out.

Hopefully, @jonheld jumps on. He is much more methodical about mmmmmm and knowledgeable. I tend to guess and throw parts at things...

IIRC I did. It was about 9 years ago. I was going through some serious medical issues so my brain is a bit foggy. I remember it dying right by a Panera in Fishers, IN. I was able to research it on Mud and a local guy came and helped me out with a spare igniter.

If you can't find an igniter over the weekend message me your name and address. I can ship you out my spare to use until you locate one or to rule that out.

Hopefully, @jonheld jumps on. He is much more methodical about mmmmmm and knowledgeable. I tend to guess and throw parts at things...

Rad, thanks for the offer man! Ya in a brief search on line, they seem a little tough to come by. Are people commonly purchasing them used? No one is making replacements? I messaged Jason as you recommended, and we'll see if that turns up anything. Fingers crossed @jonheld solves all my problems as he seems to do :poof:

Just when I'm thinking of buying another mystery novel, a good threat pops up on MUD. Following with interest.

I purchased mine used. I don't know if they are even available New anymore. @beno would know. I seem to remember they were about $250-300. I could be wrong.

REALTIME: No spark after PM items could be of interest in your search for an igniter (or spare) for your 3fe.

cheers,
george.

Thanks @george_tlc , awesome info on the ignitors from that thread.

This is essentially what was said:
"On a seperate note, I have some ignitor info

The stock one on the 1991 LC is 89621-30010, this was superceeded by 89621-12010.

This old PN has a large "125" on it, while the new one has a large "123" printed on the body. Same size, mounting and plug, and mine came from a 1990 Lexus LS400...and can be had from many different Toyota vehicles."

Here looks like a link to the part on eBay, price looks awesome:
OEM TOYOTA LEXUS IGNITION IGNITER 89621-12010 | eBay

This look like the right part to you guys? Does it match the spare you have @LS1FJ40 ? Im game to order one, but would like to feel a bit more confident that that is IT. I have yet to try test the "distributor pickup coil resistance", or test anything other than the resistance of the coil (almost normal) and finding no spark coming from the coil wire (to distributor). I will try to test the distributor pickup coil resistance tomorrow and let you know what i find, but I'm thinking the problem is upstream

Spark originates from the pick up coils inside the distributor. Those pulses get reshaped and re-timed by the ECU and then fed to the igniter which in turn feeds the ignition coil.
After checking the pick up coil resistance, make sure you are getting continuity from the pick up coils back to the ECU.
Igniter failure is pretty common in the older trucks. I was on my 3rd one when I sold my 91.

Thanks @george_tlc , awesome info on the ignitors from that thread.

This is essentially what was said:
"On a seperate note, I have some ignitor info

The stock one on the 1991 LC is 89621-30010, this was superceeded by 89621-12010.

This old PN has a large "125" on it, while the new one has a large "123" printed on the body. Same size, mounting and plug, and mine came from a 1990 Lexus LS400...and can be had from many different Toyota vehicles."

Here looks like a link to the part on eBay, price looks awesome:
OEM TOYOTA LEXUS IGNITION IGNITER 89621-12010 | eBay

This look like the right part to you guys? Does it match the spare you have @LS1FJ40 ? Im game to order one, but would like to feel a bit more confident that that is IT. I have yet to try test the "distributor pickup coil resistance", or test anything other than the resistance of the coil (almost normal) and finding no spark coming from the coil wire (to distributor). I will try to test the distributor pickup coil resistance tomorrow and let you know what i find, but I'm thinking the problem is upstream

Sure looks like it...

I didn't know that it was used in another Toyota. Makes sense.

Guess I should consider myself lucky. Aside from starters and alternators, nothing else whatsoever has gone out on my '92. Electrical, that is.

Guess I should consider myself lucky. Aside from starters and alternators, nothing else whatsoever has gone out on my '92. Electrical, that is.

Jon and I have had our 91 and 92 since new. You might've had stuff replaced prior to ownership.

However, there isn't a whole lot that can go wrong on a 3FE. Or that does go wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom