3FE alternator wiring in FJ40 w/ aftermarket harness (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 3FE transplant with OEM alternator and wiring my FJ40 with a generic harness and custom gauges. The harness is a 22 circuit Speedway motors Universal setup for 3 wire alternator, and the FJ62 alternator has 4 wires. This is how I am planning on wiring:
1612359833402.png

I would like to run it by some folks with wiring expertise before I inadvertently fry something. I posted in my build thread too, but that is off our local Club house forum that gets much less traffic.

Does this look reasonable? I am missing anything?

I would run a separate "sense" wire as shown in the 3fe FSM:

1612450579885.png

The later 40s just connected the L terminal (without relay) to the brake light via auctioneering diodes with the brake fluid level switch, this doesn't work with the pressure switch set up. And the brake light will ghost in while at idle.

Terminal 1 of the round plug (s) black wire. Your diagram shows it jumped to the white wire. Your harness should have a sense wire in it.

On both diagrams it looks like the 'S' and 'B' wires go back to the + batt, your diagram shows the S going through a few fusible links before they combine. The diagram I modified came from the FJ62 FSM, here is the unmodified:

1612457772951.png

here they are combined right out of the alternator, this is a photo of the harness plug, my 'S' wire is white:
IMG_5532.jpg

I did leave out the ignition switch wiring, so here is the updated diagram:
Screen Shot 2021-02-04 at 10.34.54 AM.png

That will cause the charging voltage at your battery to be low, depending on voltage drop due to charging current. I ran mine like that for quite a while with out issue, as far as I could tell anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom