3FE Alternator Belt Problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dr. John

SILVER Star
Threads
AS those who've done this know...The adjustment ear on the 3FE alternator is clocked differently than the 2FE, resulting in only about 2 inches of belt adjustment. Wondering if anyone had devised a hack to solve this problem, other than micro-tuning the belt length. Alternate adjustment arm? ? I gained about 1/2 inch by removing the front engine lift ear. If not, can someone provide what belt they ended up using?

AS those who've done this know...The adjustment ear on the 3FE alternator is clocked differently than the 2FE, resulting in only about 2 inches of belt adjustment. Wondering if anyone had devised a hack to solve this problem, other than micro-tuning the belt length. Alternate adjustment arm? ? I gained about 1/2 inch by removing the front engine lift ear. If not, can someone provide what belt they ended up using?
I played around with this a while back, trying a belt that was just 1/2" shorter. Even that little bit, and with the alternator adjusted all the way in, I couldn't even get it over the outer radius of the pulleys to get it on. Problem is with the OEM size belt, there is very little room to allow for belt stretch over time, and I just had to replace my belts after the A/C and alternator were maxed out on adjustment with both belts still remaining loose (though after 5 years of use, so they did at least last a while, but showed no sign of wear otherwise). I went back to the good Dayco belts so hopefully stretching won't be such an issue as time goes on.

I’m running both OEM belts around the alternator without issue:
90916-02141 and
90916-02193
I'm in a FJ60 ..... different setup, different belts. I have a single pulley on the alt. Sorry I wasn't clear. I'm installing a 3FE alt in my '60-2F.

Thanks, gbogh. I followed that thread before installing the FJ62 alternator. I was just hoping someone had come up with a more "sophisticated" way to provide more belt adjustment range. I'm now waiting on a FJ62 adjustment arm, which looks like it "might" be a little longer than the FJ60 one.

Hi, I just remove the long bolt altogether when installing a new belt This makes it easier for me. personally these are not easy to install no matter what . Mike

I see. Wasn't sure if you had seen that thread. I'm not super happy with the belt tensioner position either.
I don't think the 3fe bracket will work. It's just a flat metal bar. I can go snap a picture with the 2f & 3fe brackets side by side in a little.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom