3FE Air Injection Rail Removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I'm attempting to remove the air injection rail on my 1992 FJ80 w/ a 3FE. I'm having a hard time figuring out how to remove the injectors to free up the rail so I can get it out. How do you do it?

I can reach the injectors fine work a wrench. I just can't figure out the process. There's the part that screws into the top of the engine, then a lock nut... Help! Thanks!

Here are a couple pictures of the rail.

IMG_20200920_135058.jpg

IMG_20200920_135051.jpg

Do you have a deep attraction to the rail? If not, it's way easier to break it when you remove it.

I removed my throttle body and valve cover to get it and the heat shield out easier, but again you can just rip it.

zghhA7p.jpg

I removed my throttle body and valve cover to get it and the heat shield out easier, but again you can just rip it.

zghhA7p.jpg

So if I'm just destroying it to get it out, all I'd need to do is back the injectors out (one at a time or all at once?), then rip it out?

Yep, the ports are 1/4 NPT, I believe.

Revitalized! I am currently in the same boat. I have all four injectors backed out. My question is will the pipe and injectors "rip" out free of the heatshield, or will that come out with it? Looks like the shield has a couple cramped bolts holding it.
I would just pull the intake and see how to do it that way, however I can't for the life of me find the right tool to access rear bolt for that...
This is a DD, I need all the help I can get.

Capture+_2021-03-25-07-04-27.png
Capture+_2021-03-25-07-05-00.png

Hey hey, your pictures bring back such good memories... lol. Back it out from both sides as best you can, then pull, push and rip it out. Kudos for taking the valve cover off. I did the whole job with my valve cover on there.

Hey hey, your pictures bring back such good memories... lol. Back it out from both sides as best you can, then pull, push and rip it out. Kudos for taking the valve cover off. I did the whole job with my valve cover on there.
P.S. The heat shield can/will stay put.

Oh, man. I can't even wrap my head around how you had enough patience for that. Thanks for the advise!

Last edited:
I need to keep the air injection rail as I may need a smog test when I change my 80 to classic rego, what I need is what part I need to cap off the injection rail from the big end not the 4 little caps and is it possible to do it that way or do i have to pull the rail cap off with 4 little bung screws and then reinstall it when i do smog test. I would prefer to keep the rail in place and cap it of at the bigger end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom