3FE acting up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i had a similar issue with a Honda accord. it would randomly sputter/surge at highway speeds (wasn't rain induced though) replaced the ignitor in it and was good as new, my .02

A quick update: I got a decent deal on a used igniter and coil from Landcruiserman, thanks again. I swapped it in last week and there was an immediately noticeable improvement in engine pep. I still haven't driven it on a soggy freeway to verify my troubles are behind me, but I'm at least a little optimistic. I'm very curious to see what happens with my fuel economy. 8mpg just doesn't fly in my household. It's sad when you long for the good old days of 12mpg.

Usually on Toyota either the igniter works or it does not however check the coil to see if its leaking oil where the coil wire plugs in.

No doubt I need to get my O2 sensor plugged back in. I keep thinking I'll find time to do the experiments manually controlling the O2 sensor signal. But so far none. I'm sure I'm paying for it by pushing unburned fuel out the tail pipe. I can't smell it, but it's probably there.

Hmm... if the igniter works or doesn't, does that mean the engine stops with the igniter?

I replaced both the coil and igniter simultaneously. I didn't notice any grease from the coil, though I didn't inspect it all that carefully.

I did get to drive on a semi-soggy freeway yesterday. No signs of sputtering. There appears to be no change in fuel economy though. (see above)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom