3F Radiator fan on a 3B Anyone try ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hallo Mates :

Am parting an 89 FJ62 with 3F-E
checking the coolant / engine fan has these vanes on the blades -

ToyoDIY.com

not sure if it is the same size - look pretty close

anyone try this swap ?

As this truck is in the desert now - wonder if some extra cooling might not hurt - especially in the summer with A/C cranked

Will swap in tomorrow and see - and report

cheers:

The same racerx from toyotadiesel.com? I think I bought some decals from you...

Is the OE fan fried, or are you looking to upgrade? Myself, I would go for a aux. electric fan with a thermostatic switch. I have one wired with the thermoswitch direct to the battery so it will come on after the engine is off, like a turbotimer. I also have a switch on the dash to turn on or off at will. I have a electric aux. pump as well, but they tend to be rather expensive.

Hallo Chang :
Good to see you :

By the way - I pulled an excellent 1C head

thinking those vanes may offer better cooling - though that 3B tunnel shroud is plenty deep - much deeper than the 3F
once i Turbo this 3B - I will aux electric fan it - on my 2LT once I get the intercooler set in - I hope to use a 2 fan electric aux for the radiator as well as a one fan for intercooler - pulled those off a late 80's Supra - think they were for the oil cooler

The issue with the electric aux fan - one these diesels - the dynamo is wussy - 55 amps for the 2Lt and maybe 60 to 65 amp for the 3B - how do you even put aux lamps on these with such an anemic dynamo
without retro fitting a GM dynamo - and electric vacuum pump

cheers

reporting back :

fan blades are about 2 cm longer on the FJ62 - so not a direct swap

will keep it and see if I might trim them down at a later date

cheers:

racerX,
If you're going to trip the blades down, might I suggest weighing the 'trimmed-off' bits on a digital scale. Any difference in mass will give you an idea if you need to whittle a little more off, etc.
This may take a little more time, but it should yield you a nicely balanced fan. I'm sure the bearings in your water pump will thank you.

Hallo smcruisin:

Excellent suggestion - I thought a second on the project - then put the fan on the shelf for later considerations

a template for certain will I use - and indeed as you suggest - digitally weigh the trims - think I will investigate this more - perhaps find a more qualified man with better equipment - in the mean time - stock fan blade will do right nicely

cheers for the idea

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom