3F Performance and Improvement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Afternoon all and Happy Holidays!

I’m thinking about purchasing a South American spec GX62 that has a 3F (not the 3FE). Two critical questions:

1) What’s the summary version of the feeling about the 3F?
2) Is there any way in which to improve the performance of the 3F without breaking the bank?

Thank you!

Best,
EL

A 3f or 3fe is so underpowered compared to the weight of the 60 series. You can port and shave the head to increase compression, recurve the distributor advance, and install a aftermarket performance camshaft. But at most this will only give you maybe 40hp. Forced induction is probably the only way to get considerable power. So your talking a custom mounted supercharger or turbo and a sniper kit. So like 7 or 8k in modifications.

Think of the land cruiser F engines as very reliable tractor engines.
For more performance, Toyota went overhead camshaft in the next generation FZ engines, then bailed on the straight 6 design and went V8 - then big V8.

I’d leave your 3F alone and keep it stock as possible and accept the vehicle for what it is. I drove a Fj60 with the 2F engine for 30 years.

Thanks @OSS and @White Stripe. That’s my inclination (to leave it alone) if I’m not going to take on the +/- $15k of a professional LS swap. We’ll see if I go forward with it. Thanks again!

Before you buy, I strongly urge you to do a search on South American trucks sold to people here in the States, if you haven't done so, already.

Good luck.

Thanks @OSS and @White Stripe. That’s my inclination (to leave it alone) if I’m not going to take on the +/- $15k of a professional LS swap. We’ll see if I go forward with it. Thanks again!

(1.1).jpeg

Well one thing that is pretty straightforward would be to bump up the exhaust to 2.5". I have heard from many people that the 3FE responds well to that and I would imagine that the 3F would be no different. Making sure the carb is well tuned as well will make a big difference.
Beyond that you are getting into the territory that @White Stripe mentioned... lots of work and $$.

When I had a 3FE, I put the Man-A-Fre headers on it and got a noticeable improvement in power according to my super-scientific Inclined Freeway Entrance Ramp Dyno. Fuel economy also increased by more than 10%. But they rusted-out with pinhole leaks after a few years.

it's a good thing the global supply of solid anything 3F / 3FE Sexy NipponDenso's are under adult supervision .........

DSCN9750.JPG

DSCN9748.JPG
DSCN9751.JPG
DSCN9753.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom