[3F] Need help finding VSV part 89570-35200 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a FJ70 3F, one of the VSV's is leaking and hissing constantly. Part number is: 89570-35200

It looks like this one:

I found a number of AISIN VSV's on amazon.com with a different connter style, what's the difference between blue/green/brown VSV's?

Thank you all.

8957035200[1].jpg

All the VSV's seem to have a constant source of 12V power from the ignition switch (see attached image). So, if this VSV in on all the time, would it be alright if I just bypass it altogether and connect the vacuum hoses directly?

I think this green VSV goes to the vacuum advance on the distributor.

vsv.JPG

All the Toyota VSVs do the same thing on all their vehicles. They just have different plugs essentially. Some have atmospheric pressure release ports like the one shown in your picture Find a VSV that has a pigtail and release if yours has one. Then it will be easy to splice on the plug you want

All the Toyota VSVs do the same thing on all their vehicles. They just have different plugs essentially. Some have atmospheric pressure release ports like the one shown in your picture Find a VSV that has a pigtail and release if yours has one. Then it will be easy to splice on the plug you want

Thank you. What I do loose if I bypassed the VSV?

I have new information. The VSV clicks when connected to a 12V source no problem.

I found the issue with the wiring, there's no power at the connector. One of the wires has a path to ground no problem, but I don't have 12V at the connector.

Since this is an electrical issue now there are a few things I should mention:

- I have pertronix ignition installed for a year now. I messed with the wires in that area and especially near the ignition coil. I don't have any ignition problems (as in actually starting the truck). I remember there was a connector wires to the distributor or the condenser, that connector is not connected to anything since then.

- I changed the ignition switch recently after a wire melted there. The problem was one of the positive ignition coil got loose and shorting to ground (it was touching the ignition coil body) To the best of my knowledge that issue has been sorted, I tightened everything back together as it should.

So Why don't I have power at the VSV connector? Where should I start looking? The aftermarket ignition switch looks exactly the same as the old OEM one to my eyes, same wires colors too. My gut tells me it's one of the wires near the ignition coil and the air filter. I have connected everything there but there a couple of wires that I don't know where they go to.

EDIT:

Two wires at the VSV, a Black Yellow (BY) wire and a Black bLue wire (BL)

The BY wire has continuity to ground and the battery positive terminal, and it shows 12V when the other voltmeter side is connected to ground.

The BL wire does not have continuity with anything. So I believe the problem is here, ground side.

I hope someone can tell what the three things in my previous image are. The smaller arrow points to them: THERMO SW, TOP SW, TOP SW.

Last edited:

Maybe??

Wow it has the same bracket and connector too. How did you find it? And way cheaper than the aisin vsv.

Thank you, see my previous reply please. I think it's an electrical issue as the VSV seems to function correctly.

^^^

I thought I might need one some day and found this from someone’s post. Bookmarked it for later.

The VSV all do the same thing and only differ by normally Open or Closed and the shape of the mounting bracket and connector type. The Aisin aftermarket ones have the purge port but require you to swap over the filter cylinder on the end of it.

If there's a wrecking yard or other used parts source near you, there's gotta be a Toyota with a workable VSV in it of similar vintage. Typically, 4Runner, Hilux, 80s Corollas will have the same valve. 90s will have the type with the connector you need.

Last edited:
All the VSV's seem to have a constant source of 12V power from the ignition switch (see attached image). So, if this VSV in on all the time, would it be alright if I just bypass it altogether and connect the vacuum hoses directly?

I think this green VSV goes to the vacuum advance on the distributor.

View attachment 2318208

your VSV is not on all the time. Toyota likes to switch the ground. 12v from the battery goes to the VSV but it is only “on” when one or more of the three switches (thermo, TOP, TOP) is/are closed. Those switches are part of your emissions system but I don’t know exactly what they do. Do you have an emissions manual?

your VSV is not on all the time. Toyota likes to switch the ground. 12v from the battery goes to the VSV but it is only “on” when one or more of the three switches (thermo, TOP, TOP) is/are closed. Those switches are part of your emissions system but I don’t know exactly what they do. Do you have an emissions manual?

Aha thanks.

I don't have an emissions manual. If there's one could you send me a link please. You think it would explain those three switches?

What would be so bad about connecting the dizzy vacuum advance to vacuum all the time? In my mind it's always positive (unless something bad happens with higher rpms?)

you might have better luck posting up in the 70-series section. Not may of us have 3F engines--mostly 2F and 3FE.

you might have better luck posting up in the 70-series section. Not may of us have 3F engines--mostly 2F and 3FE.

I don't think it matters that much, at this point I just need to know what the thermo/top/top switches are and where.

I have been looking at other manuals, pretty much the same thing. However, in the other manuals they spell out things like " speed sensor" instead of something like "TOP S/W". Although I still see the "TOP S/W" used.

My FJ70 has two coolant temp sensors, could it be one feeds the combination meter and the other is for switching this VSV?

I need to know what those sensors are so can switch them on somehow and see if the VSV gets any power that's all.

the thermo sensor is obviously some kind of temperature switch. In the US FJ60 with the 2F engine there is a thermo sensor located in the catalytic convertor. But it is not associated with the vacuum advance of the distributor; it is a high temperature switch that stops air flow to the catalytic convertor if it gets too hot. As far as I know there is no reference to a TOP switch in the US.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom