3F exhaust manifold gaskets (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm rebuilding a 3F motor and in the process bought a "full" gasket set believing all gaskets needed would be included. It does not have whatever it is that seals the two halves of the exhaust gasket together. In my limited experience of engines I have never seen a setup like this. Local parts shops all seem to be staffed by people who have difficulty in even conceptualising that there was a time before 2000 when vehicles were made.

There must be a lot of these engines around. Does anybody know of an aftermarket source for the gasket or an alternative "fix"?

Ive never seen a 2 piece exhaust gasket. The parts manual doesn't show one and all the ebay gaskets are 1 piece.
Is the old gasket 2 piece with the other that seals it?

They're prolly not included because most won't, better shouldn't, come apart.

17151-61010 Gasket
17152-61010 Spring

Shouldn't be an issue, since they appeared to be the same as any 2F.

That said, if you've already separated, even if not, it may be worth surfacing the completed manifold assembly, if not the block surface too, to ensure no future issues. Prudent measure even with brand new manifolds and heads.

IMG_2481.JPG
IMG_2483.JPG

Last edited:
Hi Delancy.

Thanks for the info. That's a very pretty manifold set-up you've got there. Mine had no parts in there and was sealed with some exhaust sealer only. I had heard that the sealing on the manifolds can be problematic so had the machine shop do the relevant surfaces at the same time they skimmed the top and did the valves.

Hopefully Toyota SA will have them in stock, otherwise it is a 3 week wait for import.

Thanks for the info. That's a very pretty manifold set-up you've got there.

You should see the rest of the engine.

Lemme see if I've a pic

IMG_8747.JPG
IMG_1668.JPG

Mine had no parts in there and was sealed with some exhaust sealer only.

Must be an arid climate because they've proven difficult to separate and have regretted the one time I did.

I had heard that the sealing on the manifolds can be problematic so had the machine shop do the relevant surfaces at the same time they skimmed the top and did the valves.

I've been under the assumption the reason Toyota split the manifold was experience with earlier vintage that are problematic with maintaining seal, because they're one large chunk of 'alloy' (potmetal) that proved problematic, I'm guessing, due to deformation through heat cycling.

What I've learned with earlier is the intake and exhaust should be mated, then surfaced as a competed assembly. (I also learned that separating the two, pretty much, guarantees their position at the top of the scrap metal bin)

The 3Fs were similarly processed, even though new, and have yet to have an issue.

Hopefully Toyota SA will have them in stock, otherwise it is a 3 week wait for import.

I prolly have these, if not multiples, within bins of parts that will, hopefully, make me an eBay millionaire in the distant future (not that that was my intent. Hoping ignorance does pay....someday) but should be easy for anyone here to get.

Don't know what shipping expense or time would be, but might consider as option, if money isn't the issue, since DHL CAN get it there in four days.

That motor looks good. Nothing like a nice clean properly detailed motor.

I recently did an H motor on my HJ45 build (ih8mud inspired build) and was quite proud of it until I saw a picture of Grant Woodridge's B motor. His way is THE way I believe.

THIS IS JEWELLERY

grant woodbridge B motor.jpg

By the time I saw this it was too late for me to follow suite.

I ended up with this...

IMG_4224.JPG
IMG_4193.JPG

I suffer a bit from OCD so when I had to pull the 3F from the FJ75 I acquired as a daily driver, it was inevitable that I would end up detailing the engine in the process. Not to jewellery standard but about the same as the H motor. What should have been a 3 day job has turned into a 3 week process. Because it is not a proper restoration I deviated from black and went for Ford blue on the 3F. (Hope that doesn't cause oil leaks) For practical purposes I don't like a black engine as it "hides" oil leaks.

The vehicle does come from a very arid climate and only had slight surface rust. I am right on the ocean so, that resulted in a complete tear down of the cab to take the rust off everywhere, especially in the hidden places, do a proper respray and rustproofing...

Getting back to the exhaust seal... I still am not clear on whether it requires just one spring and one gasket or 2 springs and 2 gaskets.

I have looked in the SM but it has nothing on that and on Toyodiy I do not get a diagram and the parts list indicates 4 of each????

Thanks. PM sent.

Ja, a crime but I'm going to be able to see the leaks if any. No worse I suppose than all the high heat silver I used on the H instead of getting the stuff plated like Grant's. But, what the hell, there always seems to be a next one even when you least expect it.

What did you use on the outlet manifold. It looks really good.

What did you use on the outlet manifold. It looks really good.

Stock. Didn't even clear it, since the little piggy it's in won't see a wet surface once complete.

Edited: I bought those from a US shop, new.

They fit the late (84-86) US 2F head, which is same as 3F head worldwide, with the exception of plugs in other markets where US has EGR ports.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom