3F-EFI to FJ60 kit opinions? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I found a kit that swaps a 3F-EFI out of a 1988-1990 into any 1958-1987 Land Cruiser. Here are the specs:

Now offering a complete bolt in solution for your problem plagued carbureted engine. Say goodbye to hard starting, rough running, low power and stay all genuine Toyota to preserve the retail value of your Landcruiser.

This kit fits all 1958-1992 Toyota Landcruisers that originally had a F, 2F or 3F carbureted engine.

A Toyota Landcruiser 3F-EFI gasoline engine conversion. Complete kit only $2,500- / The engine used is removed from a 1988-1990 Toyota Landcruiser. After we get a placed order we pull the engine, get compression information and mileage for you. Engines used are in the 100k-150k mileage range. Takes roughly 2 weeks from the date of your order before it ships.

A rebuilt engine adds $1000 to the total price and 8-12 weeks to the delivery time. Please plan accordingly.

A brand new engine adds $7,500 to the total price.
Includes the following:
1988-1990 Toyota 3F-EFI engine assembly / Installs in place of original F, 2F or 3F / This is a USED engine.

Computer / Install inside or below glove box. Mass air flow sensor with air filter adapter / Comes preinstalled.

Custom wiring harness and relays. / Lays out inside engine compartment. Requires 4 taps into factory electrical system.

Air Filter, small for smog pump. / Comes preinstalled.

VSV Filters x 2 / Comes preinstalled.

Valve cover breather filter / Comes preinstalled.

Fuel Pump Inline Style / Mounts between battery tray and the charcoal canister.

Coil/Igniter / Mounts in place of factory coil/igniter on passengers fender.

Air intake Hose # 1 / Preinstalled.

FJ62 ABV Valve / VSV Unit / Mounts directly on drivers side fender in existing bolt holes.

Down Pipe Set / Exhaust shop can fabricate from these.

Emission control components remain hooked up and this is a 50 state smog legal engine.
---------------------------------------
Your original transmission clutch and bellhousing will bolt directly to this engine.
The engine mounts will bolt in directly. No welding or cutting!
=============================
Some stuff we can leave installed and you can hook up when you bolt it in.
Power steering Pump = $100
Air Conditiong Compressor = $100

Sounds like the Cruiserparts.net special. Someone has bought this kit and installed it here on the forum. I know they had some wiring questions.

For $2500 you could buy an entire FJ62, have all the parts needed, be able to see where things fit together and plug in, plus a front axle housing that's trussed, a set of 4.11 gears, and more.

That's a fairly good point. If I had the ability to buy it, take what I need and part the rest I would. I have fresh axles and brand new 4:88 gears in mine. I'll consider that. I was looking for something I could just buy and put in. I'll look around too. Thanks for the idea.

One other thing that to me is not clear from the kit description is do you use the 2F bolt on items such as AC compressor, alternator, power steering pump, and smog pump or need to go with the 3F pieces? These things have been rearranged on the 3F as compared to the 2F so if you retain the 2F items will they bolt directly onto the 3F block?

i looked at that same kit at the first of the year. was ready to buy it when i found a 62 w/114k miles for 1800.00. with the help of a very good build thread buy godwin (thanks man) it was a very easy swap. with the kit im not sure you get all the parts you will need,gas tank ,fuel lines,p/s lines,gas pedel+cable ect. plus i now have power windows+locks.

I'd be interested to see if anyone has done this swap. I will keep my eyes open for a FJ62. I posted a want ad for a 2F in the classifieds.

I've got a 3F-E in my 87 FJ-60 and I did it for much less than that cost if you figure the parts I sold off of the donor FJ-62. To make it easy i swapped in the dash as well, but that is not necessary. I have listed the parts needed in another thread so if you search you can find it.

Have you also looked into the GM EFI options? It can be done for well under $1000 if you collect the parts yourself. There are also kits availible (i think Howell, for instance). After I become smog exempt, I'm hoping to go EFI. (Shame I have to wait te become emmissions exempt to put a cleaner system on my car!)

There are threads about the GM hased systems. CustomEFI seemed to put out good products, but as with other 1 man operations, there were delays and custmer service issues. Not even sure if he is putting out kits anymore.

I've got a 3F-E in my 87 FJ-60 and I did it for much less than that cost if you figure the parts I sold off of the donor FJ-62. To make it easy i swapped in the dash as well, but that is not necessary. I have listed the parts needed in another thread so if you search you can find it.

I will for sure check that out, Thanks!

I saw this, but I guess I misread it before. I skimmed it and thought it said with no engine, but has trans issues....My bad, I will keep this in mind.

Have you also looked into the GM EFI options? It can be done for well under $1000 if you collect the parts yourself. There are also kits availible (i think Howell, for instance). After I become smog exempt, I'm hoping to go EFI. (Shame I have to wait te become emmissions exempt to put a cleaner system on my car!)

There are threads about the GM hased systems. CustomEFI seemed to put out good products, but as with other 1 man operations, there were delays and custmer service issues. Not even sure if he is putting out kits anymore.

If my engine wasn't blown I'd look into this. I just figure if I need a new heart I may as well keep it toyota, and fuel injection upgrade would be nice. I'd like to see that set up though for future projects.

Seeing how the prices on 60 series have gone through the roof, I wonder if this kit now makes sense.

I think you'd be better off making sure your 2F is properly tuned, the intake and exhaust manifolds are properly sealed and then install a Sniper system.

I think you'd be better off making sure your 2F is properly tuned, the intake and exhaust manifolds are properly sealed and then install a Sniper system.
After I posted this I saw the other thread you have commented on and think your position makes better sense. Except that cruiserparts.net says they can get NEW 3F short blocks as opposed to an older 2F. I have an 85 FJ60 with a dead 2F. So I'm torn on going SBC or staying Toyota. Cost is a huge consideration. and I just may get a cruiser parts used 2F.

After I posted this I saw the other thread you have commented on and think your position makes better sense. Except that cruiserparts.net says they can get NEW 3F short blocks as opposed to an older 2F. I have an 85 FJ60 with a dead 2F. So I'm torn on going SBC or staying Toyota. Cost is a huge consideration. and I just may get a cruiser parts used 2F.

Like anything the opinions on that are all over the place. People who have gone the V8 route always seem pretty happy with the outcome. The other camp is based in enjoying the vehicle as stock, slow and reliable. I'm somewhere inbetween. I think I'd be happiest with a 1FZFE. More modern engine, a little more displacement but still toyota and still similar fit in engine bay.

I don't want to give up my 60. As a child long ago, I wanted a Land Cruiser. But, as with all things, it is dreams vs reality.

I don't want to give up my 60. As a child long ago, I wanted a Land Cruiser. But, as with all things, it is dreams vs reality.

Leave it stock and fix everything correctly. These trucks (and any old vehicle) are best when original as they will endure time far better. Heavily modified examples rarely last long term unless done extremely well. Modified trucks are very cool...for the right person....otherwise it becomes a convoluted mess of modifications and confusion for prospective owners.

If you really want 3FE or 2FE the best approach is to acquire a FJ62 parts rig. I wouldn't fully trust a kit because once you get into it you will find that you need this small piece and that other part. With a parts rig you have everything needed to do a swap. These days good luck finding a cheap parts rig.

Anyone have a fj40 4 speed shift fork (cast). and a throwout bearing retainer
If you really want 3FE or 2FE the best approach is to acquire a FJ62 parts rig. I wouldn't fully trust a kit because once you get into it you will find that you need this small piece and that other part. With a parts rig you have everything needed to do a swap. These days good luck finding a cheap parts rig.
That's what I did three years ago - combined a new-to-me rust-free '86 FJ60 and a well-running '89 FJ62 with body damage. Bought both of those more than 15 years ago for a total of $2,700. Had the 3FE rebuilt and installed a new H55f. Inspiration for the project about 20 years ago based on @Godwin's magazine article.

I've done the 2FE swap. I rebuilt the 2F at the time with new +0.20 pistons. That with the 3FE head and I now can charge up hills without downshifting and I get 16 MPG in town and 18 mpg on the highway. Without question the best thing I've ever done to any of my FJ60's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom