3F-E 5 speed swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Granite Grinder

IH8RUST
Threads
I know this has been beat to death and I have searched numerous threads. I have my list pretty much complete to drop a 5 speed into my '62. The one item I'm having trouble with is the flywheel. My donor 5 speed is coming from a 2H motor. Can I use the flywheel off the 2H or do I need to source another. I'm guessing since this hasn't been much of a concern, the flywheel off a 2F works? I was planning on using the bellhousing that is currently on, again, assuming that the the 2H & 3F-E share the same bolt pattern. I believe the spline count on the input shaft is correct (2H, 3F-E). Does this sound feasible?
Eventually, I will be dropping the 2H in as well, but I'm really holding out for a 12H-T. I know, why not just drop the complete drive line in? Baby steps...
Thanks,
GG

I am next to postive that most toyota engines do not have common patterns. that would make lots of sense if they did that.
From my understanding, your going to need lots of parts off of a 2F cruiser. Defintally a flywheel, clutch, etc.
I also think your going to need to get a 2F bellhousing.

i have not preformed this swap, but this is what i remember from the last thing i saw about it.

Now get rid of that slushbox!!
cheers

The 2H, 2F and 3F all have 10 spline transmission inputs. The 3B is the oddball with a fine spline input.

Get a 3F bellhousing ( my 87 FJ60 came with a 3F bellhousing from the factory, as do most ), and I am pretty sure the 2H flywheel is the same as the 2F/3F flywheel, or VERY similar. Can anyone confirm / deny this?

There was a 3F? Sheesh, I've been driving diesels too long, I thought it went straight from 2F - 3F-E. Actually, that was the way it went in Canada. An '87 wagon here would have been an HJ60. What was the difference between a 2F/3F bellhousing?
GG

Not to hijack, but along with these other issues I'd like to see what other fj62 owners that have done the H55F swap have done about moving the crossmember to fit the 62's frame.

What kind of fabbing has been done to mate the crossmemeber since the 5 spd is a shorter trans? Pics?

My plan is to not move the 3F-E. I have a BJ60 donor truck that had (has) an H55F in it, I'll be unbolting the crossmember, then cutting the mounts off the frame. I have the choice of measuring then welding, or most likely I'll attach the whole kit and kaboodle, attach the crossmember, then burn the mounts. I have another parts truck (go figure) that also had an H55F in it (HJ60) that I'm going to use for the pedal bucket, clutch master, tranny tunnel etc...
I'll be glad to get rid of a some of these derelict 'cruisers.
GG

There was a 3F? Sheesh, I've been driving diesels too long, I thought it went straight from 2F - 3F-E. Actually, that was the way it went in Canada. An '87 wagon here would have been an HJ60. What was the difference between a 2F/3F bellhousing?
GG

3F bellhousing rotates the transmission a few degrees, I think counter-clockwise.

3F bellhousing rotates the transmission a few degrees, I think counter-clockwise.

Great info, thanks Godwin! Now my quest begins... (or continues)
GG

My plan is to not move the 3F-E. I have a BJ60 donor truck that had (has) an H55F in it, I'll be unbolting the crossmember, then cutting the mounts off the frame. I have the choice of measuring then welding, or most likely I'll attach the whole kit and kaboodle, attach the crossmember, then burn the mounts. I have another parts truck (go figure) that also had an H55F in it (HJ60) that I'm going to use for the pedal bucket, clutch master, tranny tunnel etc...
I'll be glad to get rid of a some of these derelict 'cruisers.
GG

Use the H55 out of the HJ60 if you can. The BJ60 H55 has a fine spline input that won't work with any clutch but the 3b clutch.

Also with the 3F bellhousing you would need a crossmember from the same year range. This crsossmember is built to accommodate the clocking of the transmission introduced by the bellhousing.

Didn't know that. Did the bellhousing and crossmember change on the 60 in 85 when they added the spacer to the h42?

Didn't know that. Did the bellhousing and crossmember change on the 60 in 85 when they added the spacer to the h42?

Yes, and the mount changed as well.

The rotation is clockwise as seen from the driver's seat.

The 2F housing mounts the tranny straight and vertically in line with the motor, the 3F bellhousing tips it to the right about 10 degrees.

Interestingly, I have a 2F in the garage off an early 1985, and it still has the bellhousing without the 3F cast in the top.

Yes, and the mount changed as well.

The rotation is clockwise as seen from the driver's seat.

The 2F housing mounts the tranny straight and vertically in line with the motor, the 3F bellhousing tips it to the right about 10 degrees.

Interestingly, I have a 2F in the garage off an early 1985, and it still has the bellhousing without the 3F cast in the top.

So you're saying that the bellhousing clocks the tranny / transfer clockwise when looking at the back of the engine, pointing the t-case output lower? That does not make sense from a clearance standpoint.

So you're saying that the bellhousing clocks the tranny / transfer clockwise when looking at the back of the engine, pointing the t-case output lower? That does not make sense from a clearance standpoint.

But it does from the standpoint of easing driveshaft angles. Remember they dumped the (expensive) double cardan shaft and went with a regular driveshaft in 85 too.

If you look at the transfer cases, there is even a provision for drilling the fill hole in a different place-the boss has 2 possible drillings. This would reflect the degree of rotation.

But it does from the standpoint of easing driveshaft angles. Remember they dumped the (expensive) double cardan shaft and went with a regular driveshaft in 85 too.

If you look at the transfer cases, there is even a provision for drilling the fill hole in a different place-the boss has 2 possible drillings. This would reflect the degree of rotation.

It does make sense in terms of drive shaft angles and I've never noticed a different place for the fill hole. Are you sure that isn't only for 34mm cases?

Use the H55 out of the HJ60 if you can. The BJ60 H55 has a fine spline input that won't work with any clutch but the 3b clutch.

That's plan, I have already sold off the BJ 5-speed.
GG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom