3E-E & stock FJ40 radiator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sounds good to me! I hate running out of gas on the trail.

Couple additional thoughts from my experience, if helpful. I've converted one FJ40 to a 3FE, and am in the middle of another.
  • Brake booster from City Racer fits perfectly, both for the clutch slave and for the 3FE intake manifold. mini truck booster works as well.
  • FJ40 radiator works great with the 3FE. But I am not in AZ. For hoses, I found 40 upper and 62 lower works well.
  • I used the 3fe mounts up front and the 40 mounts in the rear. I kept the H42 in both cases. On my second one, I am using the AC, so kept that mount/bracket. If you use the rear bellhousing mounts, that will indeed line you up pretty perfectly.
  • I didn't shim the engine, rather I re-drilled the mounting holes on the fan shroud to lower it to get it to fit.
  • I used an angle finder to get slight angle on engine mount (2 degrees maybe?...can't remember)
  • In both cases I used the 3FE alternator. It is internally regulated I believe, so no need for the external regulator.
If you have wiring questions, let me know. I'm smack in the middle of wiring and have dreams of 3FE wiring diagrams at night :) .

Couple additional thoughts from my experience, if helpful. I've converted one FJ40 to a 3FE, and am in the middle of another.
  • Brake booster from City Racer fits perfectly, both for the clutch slave and for the 3FE intake manifold. mini truck booster works as well.
  • FJ40 radiator works great with the 3FE. But I am not in AZ. For hoses, I found 40 upper and 62 lower works well.
  • I used the 3fe mounts up front and the 40 mounts in the rear. I kept the H42 in both cases. On my second one, I am using the AC, so kept that mount/bracket. If you use the rear bellhousing mounts, that will indeed line you up pretty perfectly.
  • I didn't shim the engine, rather I re-drilled the mounting holes on the fan shroud to lower it to get it to fit.
  • I used an angle finder to get slight angle on engine mount (2 degrees maybe?...can't remember)
  • In both cases I used the 3FE alternator. It is internally regulated I believe, so no need for the external regulator.
If you have wiring questions, let me know. I'm smack in the middle of wiring and have dreams of 3FE wiring diagrams at night :) .
Thanks for the information Curtice. I bought the engine and Cowell harness and am in the middle of tracing out where the wires go. I will definitely be picking your brains as I get into the wiring more.

I would like to add AC at some point as well but I need to focus on getting it running first.

Mine is a 68 so I am not sure if I will have as much clearance between the clutch Master cylinder and the 3F-E intake manifold.

Did you use a 4 pulse square wave speed sensor?

Yep. I am using digital gauges so have to do something different.

The VSS in the speedometer will work with the 3FE ECU.
I had found this in a 3E-E conversion write up here on IH8MUD.
1624486073776.png

This is why I bought a 4 pulse VSS from Speedometer Service Co. I hope that I was not wasting my money.

In my first 3FE conversion, I didn't even hook up the VSS (iirc, my speedo didn't have one for some reason). That has been 8 years and i've had no issues, no CEL or anything. That said, I know others have hooked it up and gone the route you plan to do. I think you will be fine. The ECU would expect 4 pulses as noted above and I think different stock clusters that have the VSS might do different pulses...I think earlier years were different.

In my first 3FE conversion, I didn't even hook up the VSS (iirc, my speedo didn't have one for some reason). That has been 8 years and i've had no issues, no CEL or anything. That said, I know others have hooked it up and gone the route you plan to do. I think you will be fine. The ECU would expect 4 pulses as noted above and I think different stock clusters that have the VSS might do different pulses...I think earlier years were different.
My 68 didn't have a VSS. It just has a cable the plugs into the speedometer.
I suppose I needed some sort of VSS for the ECU.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom