3BII piston id? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 89 bj73 with a 3BII engine. I see a in-frame rebuild in my near future. I very likely have a cracked piston. I understand different part numbers for different piston diameters STD, +.030, 040, etc.. looking on partsouq it appears that there are different part numbers/types of STD size pistons for the 3B II engine. How do you identify which one you have/need?

I have a 89 bj73 with a 3BII engine. I see a in-frame rebuild in my near future. I very likely have a cracked piston. I understand different part numbers for different piston diameters STD, +.030, 040, etc.. looking on partsouq it appears that there are different part numbers/types of STD size pistons for the 3B II engine. How do you identify which one you have/need?

The factory service manual has all of this information.

You cannot buy pistons from Toyota without taking your engine apart. Unless you are just going to have machined and go oversized.

The factory service manual has all of this information.

You cannot buy pistons from Toyota without taking your engine apart. Unless you are just going to have machined and go oversized.
I will look it up. I won't buy it before I pull it apart and see what I've got and what I need.

Last time I had it apart I thought about doing a rebuild and looked at parts and different piston types(not different sizes) looking down on the domes of my Pistons I did not see any markings. Perhaps the markings are on the bottom or somewhere on the skirt. It's a bit confusing to have multiple types of standard pistons for the same engine.

I'll dig into the manual see what I have in the next couple days. I'm attaching a picture of what's available as a standard piston on partsouq.com. there are 11 different entries for STD piston.

15945271634313174949483396591514.jpg

Yes, I know what the EPC shows.

You need to read the manual and then find the markings per the manual and then determine what “Mark” you have and go from there.

If you can even get the ones you need from Toyota. If you can’t, you’ll have to overbore.

Yes, I know what the EPC shows.

You need to read the manual and then find the markings per the manual and then determine what “Mark” you have and go from there.

If you can even get the ones you need from Toyota. If you can’t, you’ll have to overbore.
I get it now. Thank you. So the manual explains the marks. I was actually looking at the top of the piston and looking for something like " Mk. 1" or "1" . I'll dig into the manual once I get my head off so I can really ID my problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom