3B worth selling? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 24volt 3B with150000 kms . It came out of my 84 bj42 . I have the bell housing ,h55 f input shaft ,clutch fork ,a reseal gasket kit ,rebuilt alternator and starter ,and powder coated air filter housing with new gaskets . it has power steering pump with the bracket . I have been debating weather or not to sell it or keep it with the car as a spare etc. (I swaped in the om617) what is the value of this stuff? And or should I just keep it with the car. I guess eventually I will put it in the classifieds if I decide to sell it . But honestly I have no idea what it's worth ? Any help and or opinions are much appreciated thanks

...via IH8MUD app

isn't an 84 bj42 the premium year, might as well give it away because i believe you've just effd the truck. you should start a build thread im sure you'd get lots of followers.

If by effed you mean ,gave it more power ,better reliability and mpgs , and I can by parts at napa , then I guess your right I totally "effed" it up. A compression test is a good idea because I don't want to sell a bad motor . It ran good when I removed it but it would definitely be a good idea.

...via IH8MUD app

If you sell that combo for any less than $2500 here in the states, you're crazy. There was a guy in the classifieds just a little while ago asking $4k for basically the same setup. I think that's little high, but $1500 for the engine and $1500 for the tranny isn't unreasonable.

Edit: do you have the h55 for sale, or just the input shaft I might have read it wrong to begin with...

:cheers:

problem with buying an engine that can't be tested is who knows what quality and condition it is in. I always hated buying engines I can't fire up and listen to. If you are able to do a compression test and maybe even a leak down test that goes a long way. That said, if the kilometers are that low and the engine is in good condition it's worth $1500 easy. Since you have some rebuilt goodies as well and if everything is perfect then maybe more. The fact that it is 24VDC might be a turn off for some because they either have to switch it to 12V or convert their truck to 24V, especially in the US where that is not too common. That might mean you'll be waiting a while to sell it locally unless you ship it or someone picks it up. If you never plan on using it makes no sense to keep it, especially if the modification to the truck required a lot of changes and is overall a better option. You would likely get more money for the engine alone than combining it with the truck if you decide to sell it.

Thanks Fantom . I think you are right , I think I will try to do a compression test on it . If I can't then I guess I will have to sell it as is and understand a buyer is going to pay less . It ran fine but did have several leaks that's why I bought the gasket set . My truck is a complete 100% new frame off , so originally I was planing on refurbishing this motor but as I started trying to collect parts here in the states I became frustrated with the lack of availability and the outrageous prices for anything I could find . Now that it is done the Mercedes motor was a no brainer but did take some figuring out.i know I will never put the 3B back in I just know that there are purists out there that might find it sacrilegious to seperate the engine from the car

...via IH8MUD app

I'm confused why someone would do to a 84 BJ42 with only 150,000kms what you did. These are rare trucks, and are only going to go up in value in oem configuration. I understand the performance aspect of the OM617, but I must ask, why did you not just start with an FJ40?

Anyhow, yeah, I'd ask top dollar for your motor/trans. Those are very low kms and hard to find.

It's easier to convert an engine to 12V than a truck to 24V. If you agree, offer to sell the starter, alternator separately to someone who is comfortable sourcing 12V replacements. The 24V starters and alternator w/ vacuum pump would sell for a premium.

More work I know, but just something else to keep in mind. Of course, being in the U.S.A., you're distanced from your market (i.e. Canada) so, you'd have fewer buyers interested in that engine and accessories.

Good luck with your project! :beer:

P.S. and $1500 for the engine and $1500 for the transmission is reasonable.

Well like a lot of people I always wanted an 83-84 so when this one came available I jumped on it . It was in absolute dismal shape . The seller told me I could drive it from Detroit to salt lake "no problem" . In actuality the truck at the time was in such disrepair and so badly rusted I literally could not have driven it 100 yards ! After months of negotiations with transport companies I finally found one willing to ship it out . Long story short I had to literally start from scratch . I salvaged the tub frame and transmission/transfercase and engine Everything else was toast . At that point I decided to do a complete nut and bolt frame off and build MY dream truck (not some "purists") dream truck . Most purists only pay top dollar for a true original low mileage unrestored vehicle (this one was way beyond that world)Everyone else who pays 50,000-100000 for a truck want something different like an icon or a well done resto mod . I built this one for me. And I have no fears if I ever sell it there will be a like minded individual out there who will appreciate what I have done.

...via IH8MUD app

Good on ya for restoring a truck like that. Good choice as well on the engine swap by the way. Lots of work has been done to get tons of power out of those things. Be patient with selling and you will get a good price on that combo. There are lots of folks down there that will be interested.

Well like a lot of people I always wanted an 83-84 so when this one came available I jumped on it . It was in absolute dismal shape....

...via IH8MUD app

Ahhh, that makes sense to me now; thanks for the explanation.

No ,thank you for the interest and replies . Believe me if I had an unmolested 83-84 in nice condition I would have never considered the swap. But having to do a complete redo and I genuinely want to keep the truck and drive it forever , I figure it might as well be reliable and easy to get parts for . Plus I think you would like what I have done . It is totally stock other than an old man emu and shackle reversal . Everything is either brand new or completely refurbished to original condition. I'll post pictures and maybe start a thread someday when I get some time. I am a purist at heart I just really like to drive my cruisers a lot

...via IH8MUD app

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom