3b with Garret Turbo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just purchased a 85 FJ60 with a 3b that has a garret turbo on it.
Its Air cooled not through the intercool so runs hot.

Has anyone ever put a cold air intake on it one before?

An intercooler is what you need. The compressed air coming out of the turbo is hot! Cooling it down before it goes into the motor has many benefits. Cooler EGTs is one of the biggest benefits. A front mount intercooler will give the best efficiency; it's worth the extra effort.

Look at this thread for some ideas on how it's done: Front Mount Intercooler on BJ 60 with AC...

A 3B doesn't need an intercooler if you are tuning it to live a long life.

If you are cranking up the boost and fuel to the point where you need an intercooler, you probably need a spare engine or two.

It has very low amounts of boost . Just enough.
But going up hill my pyrometer showing 9 🤔

Which Garrett turbo? There's a lot of different compressor and turbine combinations of Garrett turbos.

I run a snorkel on my 3B with intercooler and Garrett turbo. Grabbing intake air from outside of the engine compartment helps lower intake charge temps.

It has very low amounts of boost . Just enough.
But going up hill my pyrometer showing 9 🤔
Where's the pyro reading taken from? Pre or post turbo.

If it's pre, she's probably only just getting going at 900F

Post details of your setup and readings your seeing.

I have several 3B turbos running and no heat issues or IC

See attached pics

IMG_20190926_075929.jpg

IMG_20190926_075935.jpg

IMG_20190926_075939.jpg

IMG_20190926_080157.jpg

IMG_20190926_075946.jpg

Looks like an old T3 turbo from a Mercedes.

Interesting place for the pyro pickup. Looks like it's in the turbine housing.
Looks like it's in the collector on the exhaust manifold to me from the pics. But even if it is in the turbine housing why would that matter? My last turbo had the EGT probe in the turbine housing and it works perfectly.

I think the braided line, presumably oil, is being mistaken for pyro by @RufusTheDufus - pyro is in the collector pre turbo - look underneath the wastegate actuator in the last posted pic and you'll see the pyro. ( I thought the braided line was pyro too on inital look)

I was mistaken. That's what I get for viewing topics on my phone.

In the small view of the photo it looked like the pyro pickup was in the path of the exhaust flowing through the wastegate area. I can see now that it's positioned pre-turbo in the exhaust manifold.

I was mistaken. That's what I get for viewing topics on my phone.

In the small view of the photo it looked like the pyro pickup was in the path of the exhaust flowing through the wastegate area. I can see now that it's positioned pre-turbo in the exhaust manifold.
And that is where it should be ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom