3B versus 2H (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

okay, my 2 cents ...
both the 3B and the 2H are tough engines
both are dated so parts are getting harder and harder to find if you need them. Edic motors and controlers are obsolete, just an example.
the 3B pulls about as nice as the 2H, a slug.
both respond well to turbo charging
both use vacumm pumps, fine spline strip, the older coarse spline are tough as nails
both are heavy engines, the 3B is about 100 lbs lighter (the 1HZ is the same as the 2H for weight)
IF i was thinking of installing a diesel into a cruiser then i would go for the newer 1HZ engine. parts are going to be around for decades. fuel economy is the same for all 3 engines (with in spitting distance anyway) and relate to tire size, cruising speed, gearing, driving style. i have experienced all 3 at 30 mpg (UK/Canadian) but normally you will be low to mid 20s
the 1HZ responds wickedly to a turbo. get one with a H55 behind it, the H15* tranny is a POS.

The blood red oil and fuel lines look blingy but wish it was my engine.
It would a winner at a car show but just wouldn't seem right spattering mud all over it while you were enjoying the outdoors.

If you just want a DD, reasonable fuel economy and run for ever then a 2H is just fine, my 2H has been running on the beach (soft & hard sand) for over 6 & a half years and other than change the oil each year has not missed a beat.

If like me and you want to pull a 470kg 3 person jet-ski thru soft fluffy beach for 20km you need 50hp more and still keep your diesel fuel economy hence I am installing a 12ht.

Yes you can turbo a 2H but you have to be carefully if its got quite few miles on it and don't over boost it. A 1hz is a good choice but also comes down to how good are your skills.

and the budget ...
1HZ $1500 for core to $14K for crate
3B $1000 for core, $2500 for running, $7K for rebuilt
2H $1000 for core, $3500 for running, $7K - $8K for rebuilt
the nice thing about the 2H/12HT with a bell housing it bolts straight up to the gasser tranny
3B and 1HZ and you need to change the input shaft

and the budget ...
1HZ $1500 for core to $14K for crate
3B $1000 for core, $2500 for running, $7K for rebuilt
2H $1000 for core, $3500 for running, $7K - $8K for rebuilt
the nice thing about the 2H/12HT with a bell housing it bolts straight up to the gasser tranny
3B and 1HZ and you need to change the input shaft

Your right in saying if you have a 2H then a 12ht install is simple, just a 12ht fully rebuilt is getting close to the crate cost of a 1HZ?

And lastly, what's the avg MPG of 3B? 16 mpg?

...via IH8MUD app

I've heard 20-35 mpg. Depends on who you ask. :hmm:

However, I get about 18 mpg (US) consistently on my turbo'd 3B with an H55. I get a little better if I keep my foot out of it - a little worse if I push it hard.

:cheers:

I get 11/100k, which is about 25/gallon. That's with a 4 speed, 35's and stock gears. I think it would push a troopy, not quickly. Gears would go a long way.

I would love to get 11/100k... mine does more like 16/100k, turbo, 4speed, 4.1s and 35s...

the biggest problem with mileage claims is US gal / Can(UK) gal / L/100 km confusion.
if a canuck is posting MPG then it will usually be UK gal (4.5L/gal), then you have the canuck that decides to help our US brethern out by posting in US gal (3.8L/gal) and to further muddy the water, since we are metric the old L/100 km which if the number of L is higher the worse the fuel mileage.
25 mpg UK is normal for a 3B, 30 mpg in a stock 60 or 40 or 70 at 55 mph is quite possible.
same with the other 2 engines. as soon as a lift, winch, bumpers, big tires and higher highway speeds or rapid (and i say this with tongue in cheek) acceleration occurs then fuel mileage drops accordingly.
i have a 3B powered 75 troopie here with turbo and it pulls adaquately. i would drive it ... slowly ... across Canada with no issues ... till i hit the rockies then i would be going even slower.

I live at 4500 feet elevation in Salt Lake City Utah with my HJ61 I'm getting 23-25 US mpgs. To simplify I get 600-650 kilometers per fill up. I always fill up once I hit a 1/4 tank. Typically 16-18 gallons. My gps has me with my 33x12.50 tires going 1.2 further than what my odometer shows. Miles are .62 per kilometer. So 600 x .62 x 1.2=446 446/18= 24.8 mpgs.

I love it as I have a heavy bumper and I'm not timid in my driving. The only limiter I've had is heat. I have power to go 110km/hr up the steep grades but I'm nervous to overheat anything. That is what slows me down not power. It hasn't gotten close to overheating but I do slow down to be sure.

This last weekend I drove to Moab Utah so I went from 4500 feet elevation to 7500 feet then back down to 4000 feet in moab. I got 24 MPGS.

Then I offroaded and drove home getting 22 mpgs included 45 miles off low range.

I'm putting in a new thermostat that will help keep things cooler for our altitude but the H motor is amazing!

Your right in saying if you have a 2H then a 12ht install is simple, just a 12ht fully rebuilt is getting close to the crate cost of a 1HZ?

The 12HT is a far better engine than the 1HZ. More efficient, fewer cooling hassles and capable of more power.

You are right crusher, My bad. I really just wish Toyota would have just hung a fifth cylinder on a 3b block. With a turbo it would be supreme.

what fuel mileage have YOU experienced in a 12HT equipped truck?

I am currently getting 9.5ltr/100klm out of my 2H, but the beach is not a speed Hwy even at low tide, is has a 80kph seed limit. And I am just happy mopping around at 1200 to 1400 revs.

I think the 12ht will give the same economy unless I stick the boot in, the beach work is really low revs on average and this chassis will have a 5 speed. Think the low revs the turbo will not kick in so much either, but with towing the 475kb jet-ski it will use a little more but then again the 2H was struggling and really had to be driven hard. Anyway its not that I tow the jet-ski everyday? but I do need the power when its high tide.

don't get me wrong, the 12HT is a brute engine. tough as nails, tons of torque, acceleration is amazing. to say one is fuel efficient is a bit of a stretch though.
sadly, being a dated engine is it's major downfall. luckly, i have only seen a couple dead. if i were thinking of sticking a dated engine into my truck i would buy a rebuild kit now and stick it on the shelf as well as some replacement parts. get those parts rebuilt and retired to the shelf beside the kit.
this way you have an engine that should keep going the life of the truck.
just a suggestion.

Having just rebuilt a 2H, I can tell you that sourcing parts can be a time consuming adventure and certain parts like the camshaft are virtually impossible to find in North America.

Dude, focus! Get your fj40 on the road! Then start dreaming about the next protect :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom