3b transmission problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
here is the story. i am doing a 3b swap into my 40. i have everything in the truck installed. my transmission will not shift into any gear. yesterday i started the engine and let it idle. last night i sprayed some lubricant in the hole where the shifter goes, to try and loosen the forks abit went to start it again, and the truck started rolling backwards. i really dont know what to do. i thought it was my slave cylinder so i took it off the bellhousing and i can actually move the clutch fork effortlessly. can anyone help me?

which tranny is it?

Did you check the shifter seat?
click
here
for a thread I started when mine went out....

You can push the clutch fork further back (in the direction that the slave cylinder would move it) than it's "at rest" position easily!?!?

Something is VERY wrong if that is the case.

Does the tranny shift when the engine is off? What about when you pull up on the shifter? If it will shift when you lift up hard on the shifter then it's the shifter seat and that's easily fixed. The clutch fork issue is something I have not heard of.

ok , i got the shifter free and is shifting in all gears now . there is a problem with either the clutch or the throw out bearing. it is not releasing the clutch or i dont know. i can move the clutch fork back without effort. the transmission is the h41 4 speed

Please explain what you mean by "back". Do you mean as in return? Or do you mean as in freely move in the direction you would to release the clutch beyond where you would to actually release it?

Does the slave cylinder shaft line up with the release fork? Are you using the right release fork?

I think you need to pull the tranny/bellhousing and have a good look at what is going on.

I think you need to pull the tranny/bellhousing and have a good look at what is going on.

agreed. unfortunately it sounds like a clutch problem. the pressure plate springs should be quite strong, and you should not be able to move the fork with your hand at all.

j

sorry i mean i can move the clutch fork as i was maxhing the pedal with ease. i know it should have alot more pressure than that

:hmm: Which bellhousing did you use? 3B or 2F?

I'm completely out-of-my-depth here but it sounds like your gearbox input shaft hasn't even entered the clutch spline and that the release fork/bearing is unable to even reach the pressure plate fingers.

Perhaps you have a longer bellhousing than you should for that engine-transmission combination?

:cheers:

PS. Or if it isn't possible to fit the wrong bellhousing - Perhaps something else hasn't been changed that should have been changed (that has given rise to a similar end result).

Last edited:
i ordered the drive train from cruiserparts. when it came the engine was seperate but the bellhousing and transmission were mounted together. i am not sure to be honest

Is there a clutch pressure plate installed? I think you need to pull the tranny otherwise everything is just guessing.

Is the tranny from a diesel? or from a gasser? the diesel engine and gas tranny do not fit! although the two may bolt together??

Is the tranny from a diesel? or from a gasser? the diesel engine and gas tranny do not fit! although the two may bolt together??
I don't hink his transmission is the problem because my B diesel has the H41 transmission too.

You can get an H41, H42 and H55 in both "B" and "F/H" input shaft configurations and the H41 and H42 are also available in both split transfer and single piece transfer configurations.

The tranny will bolt to any bellhousing ("B", "F" or "H") since the casing is EXACTLY the same but the input shafts are different lengths and spline counts so the combintation may or may not bolt to the engine and obviously the wrong combination will not move the truck. The question is why does the clutch fork not hit the pressure plate. I can think of only three possibilities: wrong clutch fork, missing throwout bearing or missing pressure plate. Any of these will require pulling the tranny/bellhousing to check. At the same time I'd check to confirm that the right input shaft is installed but the input shaft alone would not cause this problem the way I think about it.

Last edited:
do you think i could have t he wrong throw out bearing. i am going to pull it tomorrow. tell me what i need to look for .

ok guys i talked to a guy locally and he told me the throw out bearing is not hitting the pressure plate. could the bearing be on backwards? or do you think it could have fallen of the input shaft?

ok guys i talked to a guy locally and he told me the throw out bearing is not hitting the pressure plate. could the bearing be on backwards? or do you think it could have fallen of the input shaft?

It could be on backwards but it CANNOT fall off unless it came off during the installation.

The bearing needs to be IN FRONT of the clutch fork with the curved side of the bearing pushing on the pressure plate fingers.

th bearing part needs to be towards the clutch right. sorry it just takes me some tiime to understand.

Hopefully this should shed some light on it AGreekBoy

releasebrg1.JPG

Item 4 is the release bearing
releasebrg1.JPG

Last edited:
Tom great picture. thanks alot. i appreciate everyones help. my name is really Anest. thanks guys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom