3B tranny/tcase question... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,
Started on my 3B swap into the '65 fj45 swb, and I had another mudder say that he used his existing '67 model tcase and bolted up a 4 speed diesel tranny and 3B all together. However, when we separated the 3 speed tranny from the tcase, the tcase splines are too coarse for the bj40 4 speed I have. The finer splined 4 speed must need a tcase from the same year model bj40. Anyone have any experience with this or have any ideas of what I can do, using the parts I already have? It looks like if we had the right gears we could use the existing '65 model tcase...

Thanks in advance,

Joel

What year is the 4 speed? And was it already bolted to the 3B? Mix and match with gears is usually not an option.

Tony

The 4 speed is from an early 80's new Zealand spec bj40, and the 3B is from an '85 bj60. They are still separate. We just removed the old tranny/tcase yesterday so the reality of the tcase not fitting to the 4 speed hit home. I have heard about people swapping output shafts from trannys. Is that a possibility, to use my existing 3 speed output shaft on the 4 speed tranny?

That 4 speed should be the same one that came in my 82 BJ 60. The output shaft from the 3 speed will not fit in a four speed. Did the early 80's BJ40 use a splitcase for the tranfercase? If thats the case I would just get an early splitcase and you are good to go.

Have a buddy with a BJ 40 and I will see what he has for a tcase.

Tony

My buddy got back to me and he says his 81 BJ40 uses a splitcase. Your best bet would be to get an appropriate tcase for your tranny. Essentially there are two versions of splitcases, early and late. Some other differences but this link will explain most of them.The Wagon Way

And while the 3B uses a diesel specific tranny the split cases were not specific to diesel or gas so you should be able to easily source one here in the states. The model you need depends on whether the 4 speed you have is early or late as well. The link explains how to tell the difference.

While my experience mostly deals with wagons, if some one has said it's possible to mount your original tcase onto the fourspeed, you might try the 40 series forum, a lot of guys there with knowledge of the 3 speed tcase.

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom