AltFuel 3B, thinking of biodiesel... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tennessee Jed

I can quit any time I want...
GOLD Star
Threads
Hello - I'm bringing home a (new to me) BJ73 with a 3B - 60K miles - pretty much a cream puff JDM import. I'd like to run biodiesel in it - I have generally good access to 6% here as well as 20%. Any reason I can't start filling with biodiesel right away? Should I start with lower concentrations first?

Does biodiesel in fact burn much cleaner with fewer emissions? I have to pass emissions testing where I live but I hear bio is super clean in this regard.

I hear/read that B5% seems like it gives the best economy and performance. Truth? Or is this wholly dependant on the individual truck?

I fear putting ULSD in my pretty pristine 1988 motor - although I'm not prone to over reacting and realize it's probably perfectly safe. I look at low percentage bio as a "safer" and more lubricating/cleaning fuel than straight ULSD. Is this a correct assumption?

THanks very much - I didn't see an FAQ section for bio-noobs. And I'm not interested in WVO or complex mixing processes - I'll use it right as it comes out of the pump.

Im not a really Bio Diesel expert, but one of my friends uses 20% to pass emissions on a B engine (40 series).
He just start switching it a month before the test and it passes like a brand new motor.

It's a diesel.
You can run any percentage of bio-diesel all day long.
You can run filtered fryer oil, canola oil, used engine oil and even olive oil.
The only concern with bio is that it is more acidic than dino and is hard on rubber hoses and seals in the long term. If your hoses and seals are poly-something, not such a big deal.

Bio-diesel does run much cleaner. I think the only area it is not vastly cleaner than dino-diesel is particulates and nitrogens.

I've been running 20% to 25% bio blends in my 3Bs for about 10 years. I buy B99 from a company in Portland, ME that makes it from used fryer grease. I blend it to b20 - b25 myself in a 275gal tank. I haven't had any pump problems. (inline pumps). I did have a problem where some of the old/original rubber hoses between the tank and the pump softened and swelled. That likely woudn't have happened with b10 or lower concentrations.

I also run the same blend in my 2L in my 84 Hilux. (rotary pump) My fuel efficiency has gone waaaay down in that vehicle. From 22MPG to 14ish. I'm not sure if the bio ate some seals in the pump. Haven't had a chance to check it out. It does blow plenty of black smoke when I step on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom