Gimme a 60s 3B Engine Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I daily drive a BJ74 with 13BT/5 speed. I love it. It weighs 4600lbs and gets around peppy. 0-60 is 17.5 seconds on 33's at 5000' altitude. From what I've read....thats quick for that setup. I'm averaging 21mpg, can chug along 65~70mph all day long. Thats a fully rebuilt 13BT, rebuilt turbo, rebuilt injection pump and injectors....basically about as good as you are going to get with a 13BT/3B/3Bturbo. A 13BT is considered a superior engine to the 3B or even 3B turbo. I'm not saying mine is the best, but finding a donor 3B will probably be quite a few steps down on performance from that. For sure a bunch more maintenance. Parts are getting harder to get, but no impossible. Some parts are impossible to get.
I concur, there are a few BJ74s in our club and the 13BT is superior to the 3BT. My BJ60 weighs 6000lbs empty and is pushing 7000 with camping gear, RTT and bike rack on the back. I would never use the word peppy to describe it.

I concur, there are a few BJ74s in our club and the 13BT is superior to the 3BT. My BJ60 weighs 6000lbs empty and is pushing 7000 with camping gear, RTT and bike rack on the back. I would never use the word peppy to describe it.
Sounds like I should keep the 3fe and just manual swap.

If money is t a problem and you want a 4 cyl diesel then consider a new cummins R2.8 bolted up to a new H55.

Well, in spite of what all of you said, I bought a 3B with 320,000 KM. Will keep IH8MUD updated, not sure why all of you hate 3B motor. It’s a pretty cool old fashion diesel engine, not like I bought it to be fast.

I have an 81 BJ60 with original 3B, something like 340k. Someone swapped in a 5 speed H55F from the original 4 speed so it's already pretty close to what i ultimately want. I should stop by some day to help out. Mine is on the island though and not roadworthy but I can look at things if you need a reference (I'm in Vancouver for a few weeks though).

I have an 81 BJ60 with original 3B, something like 340k. Someone swapped in a 5 speed H55F from the original 4 speed so it's already pretty close to what i ultimately want. I should stop by some day to help out. Mine is on the island though and not roadworthy but I can look at things if you need a reference (I'm in Vancouver for a few weeks though).
Cool! I would defiantly use you as a good resource at some point! I’m no longer in Vancouver unfortunately, I’m in Penticton but if your ever up here, it would be cool to have a look! you as someone who is a 3B owner, your opinion and knowledge is incredibly valuable To someone like me who may need a reference! #team 3B!!!!!

The 2H is a 4.0 L (3,980 cc) inline 6, 12 valve OHV indirect injection diesel engine. Bore is 91 mm and stroke is 102 mm, with a compression ratio of 20.7:1. Output is 105 PS (77 kW) at 3,500 rpm - later production years 107 hp (80 kW) with 177 lb·ft (240 N·m) of torque at 2,000 rpm. This engine weighs 330 kg (728 lb) in European trim from 1985.

The 3B is a 3.4 L inline 4 eight valve OHV diesel engine. Compression ratio is 20:1. Output is 90 hp (67 kW) at 3,500 rpm with 160 ft·lbf (217 N·m) of torque at 2,000 rpm.

The 3Fe is a 4.0 L inline 6 petrol engine. Bore is 94 mm (3.7 in) and stroke is 95 mm (3.7 in), with a compression ratio of 8.1:1. Power is 155hp (116kw) @ 4200 rpm, and torque is 220 ft.lb (303Nm) @2200rpm.

The 12H-T is a 4.0 L (3,980 cc) inline 6, 12 valve OHV turbocharged direct injection diesel engine. Bore is 91 mm and stroke is 102 mm, with a compression ratio of 18.6:1. Output is 134 hp (100 kW) at 3500 rpm with 232 lb·ft (315 N·m) of torque at 1,800 rpm, on the stock configuration of 7PSI of boost.

I don't think too many people hate the motor, but the numbers do tell a story.

The 3Fe has a third more torque at around the same RPM's, and a third more power also.

But if it is what you want to do, and you can either do it or pay for it to be done, then just do it.
You will know at the end who was right and who was wrong, and only you know if you care about who is right and who is wrong.

For mine, I have rarely seen a trouble free engine conversion of any sort, and that fact alone would put me off.
Those few that I have seen that do not have trouble have cost an absolutely truckload of money for a professional job.
But you do read of people who have done it themselves and been meticulous and had a good result.

I would suggest that you seriously investigate putting a low boost turbo on it. A well sorted low boost turbo will give you better economy and easier power - just be aware that the more boost you put in the shorter the engine life will be. (And I have no idea how the 3B takes to forced induction).

Now you have decided to do it, commit to it, do a lot of research, take your time to do it right, and expect to have to sort things out along the way.
Above all else, enjoy the process. That is what these things are really all about.

One day it occurred to me - I was half a mile out of my driveway, just turned onto the main road nearby and I realised that I had a huge grin on my face. I have a nicer car to drive, but if you give me the choice, I drive my old Cruiser, even though it is noisier, slower, less comfortable, and costs me way more in fuel.
Measure it by "Smiles per gallon", not miles per gallon.

I daily drive mine and wear the cost of the fuel, simply because it makes me smile. It would make me smile a lot more if I could get it off road more often, but.... life.:confused::cool::rofl::bang:

I put 2H into an FJ60. I don't daily drive it or anything, at least not yet. But when I do, it's really slow. It takes about 30 minutes of driving to get accustomed to the lack of acceleration. But after that, it's kinda fun.

I was extremely meticulous with the swap, and it went super smooth. Not a single leak after, and so far it just runs great.

I put 2H into an FJ60. I don't daily drive it or anything, at least not yet. But when I do, it's really slow. It takes about 30 minutes of driving to get accustomed to the lack of acceleration. But after that, it's kinda fun.

I was extremely meticulous with the swap, and it went super smooth. Not a single leak after, and so far it just runs great.
Thank god, glad you enjoy it. 2H will be as slow as a 3B.

The 2H is a 4.0 L (3,980 cc) inline 6, 12 valve OHV indirect injection diesel engine. Bore is 91 mm and stroke is 102 mm, with a compression ratio of 20.7:1. Output is 105 PS (77 kW) at 3,500 rpm - later production years 107 hp (80 kW) with 177 lb·ft (240 N·m) of torque at 2,000 rpm. This engine weighs 330 kg (728 lb) in European trim from 1985.

The 3B is a 3.4 L inline 4 eight valve OHV diesel engine. Compression ratio is 20:1. Output is 90 hp (67 kW) at 3,500 rpm with 160 ft·lbf (217 N·m) of torque at 2,000 rpm.

The 3Fe is a 4.0 L inline 6 petrol engine. Bore is 94 mm (3.7 in) and stroke is 95 mm (3.7 in), with a compression ratio of 8.1:1. Power is 155hp (116kw) @ 4200 rpm, and torque is 220 ft.lb (303Nm) @2200rpm.

The 12H-T is a 4.0 L (3,980 cc) inline 6, 12 valve OHV turbocharged direct injection diesel engine. Bore is 91 mm and stroke is 102 mm, with a compression ratio of 18.6:1. Output is 134 hp (100 kW) at 3500 rpm with 232 lb·ft (315 N·m) of torque at 1,800 rpm, on the stock configuration of 7PSI of boost.

I don't think too many people hate the motor, but the numbers do tell a story.

The 3Fe has a third more torque at around the same RPM's, and a third more power also.

But if it is what you want to do, and you can either do it or pay for it to be done, then just do it.
You will know at the end who was right and who was wrong, and only you know if you care about who is right and who is wrong.

For mine, I have rarely seen a trouble free engine conversion of any sort, and that fact alone would put me off.
Those few that I have seen that do not have trouble have cost an absolutely truckload of money for a professional job.
But you do read of people who have done it themselves and been meticulous and had a good result.

I would suggest that you seriously investigate putting a low boost turbo on it. A well sorted low boost turbo will give you better economy and easier power - just be aware that the more boost you put in the shorter the engine life will be. (And I have no idea how the 3B takes to forced induction).

Now you have decided to do it, commit to it, do a lot of research, take your time to do it right, and expect to have to sort things out along the way.
Above all else, enjoy the process. That is what these things are really all about.

One day it occurred to me - I was half a mile out of my driveway, just turned onto the main road nearby and I realised that I had a huge grin on my face. I have a nicer car to drive, but if you give me the choice, I drive my old Cruiser, even though it is noisier, slower, less comfortable, and costs me way more in fuel.
Measure it by "Smiles per gallon", not miles per gallon.

I daily drive mine and wear the cost of the fuel, simply because it makes me smile. It would make me smile a lot more if I could get it off road more often, but.... life.:confused::cool::rofl::bang:
You said it yourself “enjoy the process” I will. I absolutely love the 3B for what it is, I don’t care that it’s slow, or parts are hard to find. My 3FE is slow and parts are also hard to find. There is something about mechanical diesel motors in a tough 80s SUV that I can’t get over. It just makes me happy, and I need a after work/school project. So I’m doing It and not looking back. It won’t be perfect but I’m going to get this done and be proud of my work, even if the swap doesn’t make the most sense. It’s just what I want and I’m going to get it.

But seriously, how can you fault a 3B for being slow? ALL land Cruisers are dead slow anyways.

Here in Oz we got the FJ60 with the 2F motor and manual box, the Hj60 with the 2H and manual box, and the Fj62 with the 3F and auto or Manual, and the HJ61 with the 12HT auto or manual. The 3B never came in Cruisers over here.
I gotta say, my 3F with manual box is just fine. Don't win many traffic light derbies, but don't really get left in the dust either. Having said that, it is not fast.....
I had a HJ61 many years ago and it was a rocket. 4speed auto and all the fruit. And 11ltr/100km no matter what you were doing. (about 21mpg.)
But that was the 12HT and I suspect it had been modded before I got it. The numbers say it shouldn't be much different to the 3F, but it certainly was.

For me it seems a bit strange to only have 4 pots up front in a cruiser, but in other places some of the came that way, so.....

I had an '81 BJ60 years ago, my first Land Cruiser. It ran fine and was fun to drive, but it had the 4 speed from factory. I think the H55F first gear is too low for daily road driving. I really wish my H55F had the same gearing as the H42, just with the overdrive. I don't wheel, so that really low first gear doesn't help me. I mostly start in 2nd gear now.

I had an '81 BJ60 years ago, my first Land Cruiser. It ran fine and was fun to drive, but it had the 4 speed from factory. I think the H55F first gear is too low for daily road driving. I really wish my H55F had the same gearing as the H42, just with the overdrive. I don't wheel, so that really low first gear doesn't help me. I mostly start in 2nd gear now.

That might be a problem because my 62 diffs are 4:10.

My BJ60 has a 3B, H55f, 4.11s and 285/75R16s. The speedo is very close to being accurate, maybe a couple percent big-tire-overdrive, and I feel like its just right. My 60 is heavy, hitting the scales around 6000lbs, so I feel like the low first helps me get off the line. My 3B is turbo'd, with all of the boost and we can hold high-way speeds on flat ground, but struggles on the hills.

My BJ60 has a 3B, H55f, 4.11s and 285/75R16s. The speedo is very close to being accurate, maybe a couple percent big-tire-overdrive, and I feel like its just right. My 60 is heavy, hitting the scales around 6000lbs, so I feel like the low first helps me get off the line. My 3B is turbo'd, with all of the boost and we can hold high-way speeds on flat ground, but struggles on the hills.
Don’t think I would turbo mine, apparently they can get some nasty blow by.

Steve at EBI was telling me that if you put a fatter exhaust on it than the pencil thin Toyota pipes, the 3B loves it and peps right up.

Steve at EBI was telling me that if you put a fatter exhaust on it than the pencil thin Toyota pipes, the 3B loves it and peps right up.
Oh? I like Steve, he knows his stuff. I should look into buying a after market pipe, hopefully get some more diesel sound out of the motor as well. Anything would help In the speed department.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom