Gimme a 60s 3B Engine Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I really don't understand your logic here.

You're worried about the difficulty of swapping a transmission, but not worried about the difficulty of swapping an engine, transmission and all of the associated wires, lines, hoses and everything else?

You're worried about fuel costs, even though the cost of the swap will buy you literally years and years worth of gasoline for your 3FE? When you factor in that diesel fuel has a cost too, the pay-off is likely to be 10+ years.
Well, 3b is a mainly mechanical engine, plus the engine will already be manual so I’m not having to do all of the work of turning a automatic engine into a manual.

I want to learn more about how the EDIC works to make that manual in my quest to remove as much electrical stuff as possible.

I want to learn more about how the EDIC works to make that manual in my quest to remove as much electrical stuff as possible.

you could remove it and setup a pull cable assembly to activate the shutoff

the engine will already be manual so I’m not having to do all of the work of turning a automatic engine into a manual.

installing a manual trans behind the 3FE is basically a bolt in, the engine doesn't matter whether it has an auto or manual behind it.
the axle ratio in a 62 series is 4:10 versus the ratio in 60 series which is 3:70, this is for US gas rigs

Well, 3b is a mainly mechanical engine, plus the engine will already be manual so I’m not having to do all of the work of turning a automatic engine into a manual.
I guess what I'm trying to convey to you is that the "converting the engine to a manual" part is literally the easiest part of this whole endeavor. The only difference between a manual 3F/3FE and an automatic one is the flywheel and pilot bushing. It'd take you maybe 20 minutes to swap those parts.

Converting everything else on your FJ62 to support a manual transmission is far more difficult. Here's a good post detailing all the components you'd have to swap to get a manual in your cruiser:

As far as the 3B being all mechanical: Your 3FE is running and working. Switching to a "mainly mechanical" engine means tearing out all of your functioning wiring, figuring out how to interface the wires you have now with your new engine and hoping it all works. Sure it might only need "1 wire" to the fuel solenoid, but you need way more than 1 wire if you want a fully functional vehicle.

Last edited:
Yes wiring is one thing, why would I need to swap axles? They should all be the same ratio right ?
I don't think you'd need to swap the axles. The 62 is geared at 4.10 I think, which might actually help a 3B-powered 62 get off the line compared to 60 gears, which i believe are 3.73.

You will likely need different driveshafts though.

PM incoming.

To the OP.

post some pics of your fj62

have you found a donor BJ60 with good compression and ‘low kms’ (attempt at humour)

who’s paying the bills

Turn this into a build thread with pics

post some pics of your fj62

have you found a donor BJ60 with good compression and ‘low kms’ (attempt at humour)

who’s paying the bills

DD809EB8-2521-4081-BDBD-8FA2C9D49AEE.jpeg

D59265E0-254A-4828-B525-F3A741021306.jpeg

32DDBD07-4438-447D-8F56-068BB0A462E1.png

E927479F-E987-48F0-9093-4177218B7A28.png

E7B76641-D075-4FD6-BDB9-3E1626CAA028.png

No I haven’t found a truck yet, there are a few out there though. I’m 16 and don’t know much about these things and have become a little confused. I would be paying for everything myself. I’m just looking a general idea on what I want to do with this, I just really wanted a manual 3b but couldn’t find one cheap in good shape so I bought this one for a good price.

I’m 16 and don’t know much about these things and have become a little confused
Take the advice of some others, and just drive it for now. Don't rush into anything. All the information you need is on this site, somewhere. Just make sure to search the site through google and not the search function on the forum. A few hours of reading and you'll know exactly what it will take to make your truck a diesel, manual, LS powered, Mercedes diesel or even Cummins diesel swapped. It's all there.

Yes I’m okay with it benign slow, how hard was the swap ?
Hard is a very subjective term. This is not a weekend job. I had an entire BJ60 to swap everything over. We took the entire wiring harness, as there are a lot of relays and connections that are different between the FJ and BJ (Dash with glow light, water separator, glow relays etc). The motor mounts are different and in different places, so you need to cut the motor mounts off the frame and weld new ones on. The transmission crossmember is in a different place and had to be moved (more cutting and welding.

I swapped to 4.11s and I have 33x10.5 tires, and I actually miss the 3.73s. I think the 3B was happier at lower RPM on the highway.

I agree with @Lead Head, a manual transmission swap for the 3FE would be a far easier swap than the entire drivetrain. the B series input shafts on the transmissions are different than the F&H, so you will have to find the right 5 speed for your 3FE.

I see you are in vancouver, do you plan on going anywhere that is cold? the 3B doesn't make much heat when its idling and putting around in traffic. I dove mine through a winter and calgary and damn near froze to death.

Take the advice of some others, and just drive it for now. Don't rush into anything. All the information you need is on this site, somewhere. Just make sure to search the site through google and not the search function on the forum. A few hours of reading and you'll know exactly what it will take to make your truck a diesel, manual, LS powered, Mercedes diesel or even Cummins diesel swapped. It's all there.
And if you are in Vancouver, join the coastal cruisers, there is hundreds of years of lansdcruiser knowledge in that club.

Hard is a very subjective term. This is not a weekend job. I had an entire BJ60 to swap everything over. We took the entire wiring harness, as there are a lot of relays and connections that are different between the FJ and BJ (Dash with glow light, water separator, glow relays etc). The motor mounts are different and in different places, so you need to cut the motor mounts off the frame and weld new ones on. The transmission crossmember is in a different place and had to be moved (more cutting and welding.

I swapped to 4.11s and I have 33x10.5 tires, and I actually miss the 3.73s. I think the 3B was happier at lower RPM on the highway.

I agree with @Lead Head, a manual transmission swap for the 3FE would be a far easier swap than the entire drivetrain. the B series input shafts on the transmissions are different than the F&H, so you will have to find the right 5 speed for your 3FE.

I see you are in vancouver, do you plan on going anywhere that is cold? the 3B doesn't make much heat when its idling and putting around in traffic. I dove mine through a winter and calgary and damn near froze to death.
NO! I heard they don’t like the cold, my parents said it was brutal when they drove to Saskatchewan. I’m 16 I’m not going anywhere cold. Just trying to figure out what I’m going to do with this project.

A swap to a 3B from a 3FE doesn't make sense unless you are getting the engine/tranny/drivelines for free or really cheap. As others have stated it will take you way more than 10 years to recoup that cost. The chances of you finding a "good" 3B that doesn't need a lot of work is going to be extremely low. Even then it's not a great swap.

You would be WAY ahead by putting in an H55F 5 speed or even a 4 speed. You can get 4 speeds cheap and with 33's have plenty of overdrive and much better performance than even a turbo 3B....and you WILL WANT a turbo on that 3B.

I daily drive a BJ74 with 13BT/5 speed. I love it. It weighs 4600lbs and gets around peppy. 0-60 is 17.5 seconds on 33's at 5000' altitude. From what I've read....thats quick for that setup. I'm averaging 21mpg, can chug along 65~70mph all day long. Thats a fully rebuilt 13BT, rebuilt turbo, rebuilt injection pump and injectors....basically about as good as you are going to get with a 13BT/3B/3Bturbo. A 13BT is considered a superior engine to the 3B or even 3B turbo. I'm not saying mine is the best, but finding a donor 3B will probably be quite a few steps down on performance from that. For sure a bunch more maintenance. Parts are getting harder to get, but no impossible. Some parts are impossible to get.

That swap will be a huge undertaking. I'd stick with a manual swap, 4 speed if money is tighter and enjoy it. The 3FE with manual is a great setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom