Gimme a 60s 3B Engine Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you look up @gerg turbo install thread he details the proper reinstall of those covers. Super common. Once you clean the engine. Reinstall those covers they may need to be re torqued.

I don’t think you guys understand! Don’t you see the green stain on the engine block below the head!!!!! Head gasket!!!????!? I already know the push rod cover is leaking.

What should I do? It’s not consuming it. It’s leaking out, extremely slowly. To my understanding, doing head gaskets are a big job on these.
As others have said clean that puppy up so it shines and then rule out all the east stuff. Assume the head gasket is fine until you’ve eliminated the possibility of a leak from everywhere else.

Then pull the head !! Put a new gasket and check the precups ! engines out, easy peasy...
Lol I have done head gaskets on other Toyota engines. This one looks the hardest, I’m serious.

I don't remember anything particularly hard about the job (its been a few years). I seem to recall a 22RE being harder just because of all the fuel injection stuff. Do you have a shop manual? If you don't you should get one. You probably could down load off mud - seems to me I've seen it offered but not sure if it still is available and where.

Like pistonpete should be relatively easy and then new gasket and check precups ( I would just change them). Or alternatively, install everything get it running and change head in truck - still not that hard - but its a heavy little sucker!

I don't remember anything particularly hard about the job (its been a few years). I seem to recall a 22RE being harder just because of all the fuel injection stuff. Do you have a shop manual? If you don't you should get one. You probably could down load off mud - seems to me I've seen it offered but not sure if it still is available and where.

Like pistonpete should be relatively easy and then new gasket and check precups ( I would just change them). Or alternatively, install everything get it running and change head in truck - still not that hard - but its a heavy little sucker!

I did a head gasket on a Toyota 3.0. It was a lot of work. But from what I have heard his 3B head gasket is a bigger job. I might just have to leave it. As far as shop recourses go, I have access to all data, but last time I checked, I couldn’t find anything on the Toyota diesels. Today, on my break I will talk to one of my teachers who is a red seal mechanic.

Swap is going well. I don’t Have much time, but I am extremely persistent, I have made excellent progress lately.

I’m going to try and update the thread more. 👍

8A158EFD-E769-4F80-99DD-051072AD495E.jpeg

A61EB673-05FF-461D-8D4F-35A38579278B.jpeg

A01E5BFA-97EA-4113-A948-BF637B7A324A.jpeg

B246CBD9-6D6F-4A90-AE5E-8DC2A5A0BE8B.jpeg

Okay! I’m trying to get my a$$ in gear here, I have been grinding the LC project lately, and I am making good progress! And believe it or not, everything has been pretty smooth.

After I replaced most gaskets on my 3B and got it running, () I started to focus on the FJ. I began by pulling the transmission out, link here: FJ62 Transmission Removal - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fj62-transmission-removal.1300834/

Anyways, I got this genius idea to take the rebuilt 62 38mm case, and put it on the H55F- as the H55F T-case had not worked when I bought the truck due to a rusted shift lever.

I started to remove the T-Case, and to my complete uprise, every inch of the case looks rebuilt!! Bearings, thrust washers, O-ring, gears, and Idler shaft looked awesome. The PO of the truck had not memory of him having it rebuilt, so I guess he didn’t know.

Anyways, now I have 2 rebuilt units, I’m not sure what I’m going to do with the other one. I will try to keep this thread updated.

P.S I have learned so much from tearing this Case down. I love it.

261E0B5A-237D-4C47-92EC-062DD7899C58.jpeg

9444844B-9408-4447-8020-B3270BB10AB5.jpeg

6D1ADB61-FA04-45D8-9664-CDF96F862F6D.jpeg

BAE6340E-7832-467B-BFB0-29809A9ABEE7.jpeg

Figured I would update the thread.

I successfully swapped over the 38.mm idler shaft, T-Case, not a hard job, it’s just important that you place all of the thrust washers in place, and check the preload on the output bearing. While I was there I also took the top off of the transmission, and everything looks fine and feels smooth, other than a very slight growl in 5th gear…. Boo-hoo

After the transmission came out, the engine was an easily accomplished task, not a whole lot of work.

Upon the inspection of my 3FE it was clear that the engine had some serious engine oil leaks, it’s probably a good thing that I pulled it out.

Anyways, sold my transmission to a fellow member, and I have started the marvellous journey of doing all the wiring.

I have never done any wiring before, but I think I will be able to figure it out. I believe that the strategy with the 62, is the leave the original harness installed, and just make a mini harness, for EDIC and glow plugs.

Anyways, as of now, I have just labeled most of what I can, and removed both dashboards- this is extremely easy task to anybody who is wondering.

I will update in detail how The wiring goes!

50013596-1405-4DC4-991A-779D0A7952E4.jpeg

4954102C-69A0-4A53-8E11-43BE1D45D323.jpeg

F86F9FF0-5BED-4CB3-8155-C0C923BFBAD4.jpeg

Bought a new transmission, it only has 100,000KM.

I ordered a compression tester for the 3B, I may go and pickup a new engine depending on the numbers.

53D15C07-C0DF-4F24-8B4C-F4B697130CB4.jpeg

nice, good job
head gasket on the 3b is super easy, especially with it out of the truck,
the problem is you WILL find things ie, a cracked head..... cracked precups are a 100% probability but the head being cracked is also highly likely ( mine was as are many )
this is the kind of thing you need to know before just chuckin an engine in and running it, you dont want to drop a precup, and they are a wear item like a timing belt.
Im up in pg, i have 2 3b 70series, let me know if i can help
Radd cruisers is a good resource for us, fast shipping and they are knowledgeable and have much more than is listed on their site.

nice, good job
head gasket on the 3b is super easy, especially with it out of the truck,
the problem is you WILL find things ie, a cracked head..... cracked precups are a 100% probability but the head being cracked is also highly likely ( mine was as are many )
this is the kind of thing you need to know before just chuckin an engine in and running it, you dont want to drop a precup, and they are a wear item like a timing belt.
Im up in pg, i have 2 3b 70series, let me know if i can help
Radd cruisers is a good resource for us, fast shipping and they are knowledgeable and have much more than is listed on their site.

Yea John at Radd Cruisers is my #1 source.

Yes, I’m worried about having to replace the head.

My 3B runs well, check out my YouTube video I posted above. I actually suspect the compression numbers to be good. But This other engine I’m looking at only has 100,000 km, and it’s a 85’ model year.

So,

Before I resumed my wiring job, I did some more work on the 3B.

I did a compression test, the numbers came out to be 400psi across the board COLD. After I knew my engine was good, I proceeded to install the new clutch and mate the transmission to the engine. I am trusting the work I have done; the new transmission feels great on the engine, very tight and no play on the output shaft.

Next, I resumed my wiring job.

I was freaking out about the task before me. But I had decided that I wasn’t going to swap the wiring harnesses because the 62 has too many power features - navigating it would be nearly impossible- the 60 & 62 have many differences.

The the new strategy is, take out EVERYTHING that i DON’T need. For example anything ECU related is cut & pulled out, as well as the fan cooler assembly (this is removed so the Glow plug timer can be installed). So now, the engine bay looks very clean, there are no other wires in it other than the lights, power intenna, windshield wiper, and brake booster idiot light.

My idea is I will then be able to plug in my diesel harness to the engine and Gauge cluster, but there are other issues that I will have to resolve with that. But I think it’s going to work.

I have now installed the glow plug timer, and one of the main relays.

I’m doing this mostly solo, and it’s not overly hard.

12D2C336-F4F8-4F2F-A9D4-726292CF4012.jpeg

BC050C16-0571-41AF-AE0D-25D19289DAE1.jpeg

E6FC6671-FDEA-4D55-8E31-1CB3D2042EE8.jpeg

8E947FAE-E942-4062-B530-DB4E84646164.jpeg

I mostly buttoned up my wiring!

Like I previously stated I made basically a simplified diesel harness. It includes all of the relays and the glow/edic wiring. The hard part is adding them into the fuse box- I have added most of the necessary wires but there are still more that I need to add or track down. - the whole assembly slides into the truck with the rest of the wires… I hope it works!

Now, I can’t test much until my engine is in, so I started welding in my motor mounts.

I started by measuring the distance of the motor mount to a bolt shared by both vehicles - one measured I cut the mounts off with my Makita zip wheel… pretty easy and doesn’t take much time to cut them off.

Hope the engine fits in okay. The transmission crossmember will be the hard part.

Also picked up a new 3B with only 100,000 km. - runs nice.

681DBA09-B642-46AE-9470-02D21329EEB2.jpeg

C2FA7D64-759F-4FC7-AF31-8DB7EA45514A.jpeg

FF589D5E-0083-4812-BC0D-A3E7FCCA3F43.jpeg

CE5F1922-7A4F-4BDC-8B4D-349C49C54BC2.jpeg

0A3374DF-4FB0-4F97-9055-F491E86B8B01.jpeg

figure I’d update this thread. Lots of work has gone into the 62 that I haven’t documented. I wish I did.

Anyways, I’m currently installing a front differential locker. So far it’s been super easy - tomorrow I’m pulling the 3rd member.

IMG_1856.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom