3B problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my 3B isn't getting oil to the top of the motor.

Around 3000kms ago I pulled the head off to fit new precups and an MLS head gasket in preparation for turbocharging. 3000kms later I was retorquing the head bolts (didn't need to, they were fine) and checking the valve clearances. I noticed the rockers were really stiff so I pulled them off and they were toast, they haven't been getting any oil.

The only thing I could think of that I might have done is put the head gasket in upside down and back to front, blocking the oil hole. I know I checked it 100000 times before I stuck the head on and I could see the tab on the gasket was in the right spot but I pulled the head off anyway. The gasket was in correctly.

So now I've got the head off and you can crank it forever, no oil comes out of the oil hole in the top of the block at all.

I don't have an oil pressure gauge but the idiot light goes off after a couple of seconds. I will to put a gauge on it when I dig one up.

Has anyone experienced this before?

I've looked through the manuals and I can't find an oil diagram but it appears the oil feed comes from no.1 cam bearing so I'm thinking maybe the cam bearing has spun, disintegrated or otherwise? Can anyone confirm this is where the feed comes from? Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Hayden

Older manuals to the rescue, B-2B manual shows a oil diagram. It's not totally clear but it sure looks like it comes from cam bearing 1.

Clipboard01dsa.jpg

I think that's almost certainly the case gerg. I'm hoping someone will chime in with another theory or experience on the subject.

If nothing develops I think I'll pull the short motor out next fortnight and see what's up.

So the cam bearing has spun. It should line up with an oil hole but as you can see, it doesn't. The feed hole is completely blocked and the oil gallery to the head was 80% blocked. Luckily the cam is hollow and has oil holes so the bearing is has still been well oiled and the cam is undamaged.

38412143_10216694935593673_4938203176164655104_n.jpg

This seems particularly odd as there's little scoring and the bearing is in remarkably good condition. The bearing surface on the cam looks perfect. The motor has 340'000kms and has never been rebuilt. The bearing was also really well stuck in there, not at all loose.

I think a little bit of something got in there and got stuck in the channel around the oil hole and spun it around.

Anyone heard of this happening before?

3Bs are really not my favourite engine at the moment.

At least it a close one! Once you fix it you will begin to like it again. Never make decisions about your truck late at night after working on it all day. I find thoughts about gas cans and fire start jumping into your head.

Gahhhhhhhhh I hate this stupid thing.

Just went to put the cam back in and heard a rattle. No.2 cam bearing popped out. I had no force on it, just sliding the cam in like normal and I was up to the last bearing. My 3B is the first month of 5 bearing blocks so I wonder if that batch had crappy fitting cam bearings or something.

You can see the bearing sitting on the cam looking down the lifter bore.

20180909_135437.jpg

Now I'll have to pull the motor out of the car. More work on this stupid piece of s***.

The sooner I get this 3B out of my life, the better. We have holidays in a month and we were meant to be taking this but I can't see that happening now.

I'm so sorry man. Get a running motor and pop it in?

If you have absolutely no other choice this might be an option. I've read old school guys do it but the bearing will run hotter due to less heat transfer but it's a cam shaft so I don't think heat is a major issue for them compared to the bottom end. I wouldn't call it a fix.....its just an idea.
LOCTITE 609 - Retaining compound - Loctite

I'm so sorry man. Get a running motor and pop it in?

If you have absolutely no other choice this might be an option. I've read old school guys do it but the bearing will run hotter due to less heat transfer but it's a cam shaft so I don't think heat is a major issue for them compared to the bottom end. I wouldn't call it a fix.....its just an idea.
LOCTITE 609 - Retaining compound - Loctite

Yeah, I'm hoping I can find another running 3B to put in. 3Bs are very rare here, they only came in BJ40/2s and BJ70/73s. I'd love to pick up a 14B but I've been keeping an eye out for years and they've been well out of my budget so far. We'll see what happens. We will probably be doing the big road trip in my Suzuki Sierra (Samurai) but I don't think my girlfriend is very keen for that. :p

I'll keep the bearing retainer in mind, I actually have some already. Cheers gerg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom