3B overheating? Or normal temps? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just took it for a drive up to Brohm lake in Squamish with the new radiator cap. Temps still spiking, this time the overflow spilled a little coolant out into the engine bay. It seems there is no pressure in the system. When it gets up to operating temp, or over temp the upper radiator hose can be squeezed quite easily. Going to look into a pressure test and a dye test to see if there’s any coolant coming out anywhere. I went over the hose clamps quickly to see if there was any loose ones. Didn’t seem like it. Any ideas?

Have you checked the frost plugs that were replaced. If your hoses are old they can sometimes have a split in them thats covered by the hose clamp.

Has the head ever been off while you owned it? I see the speedo has 336k miles on it, old diesels can run hot as they lose efficiency with fading engine compression.

Last edited:
What type of transmission. Auto or manual

Have you checked the frost plugs that were replaced. If your hoses are old they can sometimes have a split in them thats covered by the hose clamp.

Has the head ever been off while you owned it? I see the speedo has 336k miles on it, old diesels can run hot as they lose efficiency with fading engine compression.

No signs of leakage. I’ll have a closer look at the hoses tonight but the majority of them have been replaced. And it is 336km not miles thankfully haha

My observations with a 3B and towing a M101CDN from Ontario to Alaska are: Sneak up on hills by using gravity on the downhill approach.
You have to make sure you are maintaining speed and rpms on the up hills, if you do not downshift and start lugging the engine heat will build up.
I drop 5th to 4th around 85kpm, 4th to 3rd before you hit 60kpm. 3rd to second is when you draft a VW.
In a nutshell if you can increase speed/rpm on the uphill you should be Ok, if you are losing speed/rpm then downshift.

My observations with a 3B and towing a M101CDN from Ontario to Alaska are: Sneak up on hills by using gravity on the downhill approach.
You have to make sure you are maintaining speed and rpms on the up hills, if you do not downshift and start lugging the engine heat will build up.
I drop 5th to 4th around 85kpm, 4th to 3rd before you hit 60kpm. 3rd to second is when you draft a VW.
In a nutshell if you can increase speed/rpm on the uphill you should be Ok, if you are losing speed/rpm then downshift.

Yes I agree. Although the hill up to Brohm lake in Squamish has a long flat section before a prolonged incline. It is hard to maintain speed. I have lived in this area for 7 years and this is the first time in those 7 years that this overheating has occurred so I am just baffled as to why. It is not human error unfortunately.

I understand that you replaced your fan clutch, but are you sure that it's working? When the bi-metallic strip gets hot enough to turn the internal valve you will hear it lock up and start to roar. At this point you can also stop the engine and try to turn the fan by hand, if it's working it'll be very resistant to spinning. I had the same issue, kept appearing on the long hill out of lilloett up the Duffy lake road. Found that my bi metallic spring was completely missing (they're just crimped on) so I used a screwdriver in the slot to change the valve position to on, temporarily.
Took about three or four tries to get the right new fan clutch from the usual suspects, but finally got things sorted and not an issue since.

Pressure test it.
check the fan
check the coolant isn't too strong

confirm the easy things. Princess auto should have a pressure tester.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom