AltFuel 3B on WMO, got an issue. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone
Just recently I started running my 3B on a 85/15 wmo/rug mix. I mix the fuel, let it settle for at least a week before it gets gravity fed through a 5micron and 1micron filter. It then runs into a 205ltr collection drum for when I need it. So the fuel should be clean.

I put the first batch, 60litres, into the fuel tank which still contained about 30litres of diesel.
The first week and roughly 300miles went fine. Starts good, runs good, no smoke, etcetera.
Then all of a sudden I noticed lack of power, like it's not getting enough fuel. No irregular or rough running like it has air in it. No load it ran ok, but when revving it hard or loading it up it just wouldn't do it. It was visible as there was much less boost and way lower egt than normal.
It did this for like half a mile, then all of a sudden, as by the flick of a switch, power was back to normal. Untill 10miles further up when I was nearly home the same happened when I revved it hard in 3rd gear.

I changed the fuel filter and all seemed well. At least for about 40miles, when the same thing happened again.

I had read that it was common to have to swap something like 3 to 5 filters due to clogging after first switching over. Apparantly the rug in the mix acts as a detergent and cleans the inside of the fuel system creating a sludgy substance blocking fuel filters.

I opened up the first filter, didn't really see anything unusual.
Apparantly wmo and wvo don't mix well and create a sludgy substance. Our diesel contains up to 7% biodiesel. So I figured the wno must be reacting to that and form a sludge. I hoped the problem would go away quickly as I put more wmo in the tank.
The water seperator was full of sludgy crap so I cleaned that out. I threw another 60ltr of fuel in the tank,I fitted another new fuel filter, hoping all was now well. It wasn't.

I now got 12miles or so before the same lack of power issue happened again, coincidentally at the exact same stretch of road.

This morning I checked the water seperator, which had only a thin film of thicker fuel on the bottom. The fuel that came out was clean.
I checked the wire gauge filter on the suction side of the feed pump, which was clean.
I haven't fitted a new filter nor did I go for a testdrive, I will do that tommorrow.

All seems clean but it still had lack of power which felt like insufficient fuel got to the IP. Is there anything else that could cause such symptoms? A sticking rack in the IP?
The weird part was that power all of a sudden came back. Like it had to suck something through the fuel line with great resistance, and it got the water seperator restoring fuel supply. I almost doubt it could be something mechanical with the IP or injectors, it runs great otherwise.

That's the wire gauge one on the suction side of the feedpump you mean? Yes, checked that one, it was clean.

Testdrove like I stole it, ran excellent. I'm keeping a hawk's eye on it though.

Right, the problem is still there, and I might have found it.
Just the other day on my drive to work the engine started running very rough. I pulled over and it ran like it had air in the fuelsystem.
I cracked the injector fittings but that didn't help. It ran so crap it stalled.
I bled the fuelfilter which was full of air. Blee the injectors and it fired right up. It ran good again for a while but it gets progressively worse.

What I think it is. The rug part of the mix (15%) must vaporise in the injector return line. I assume it goes from a high pressure situation in the fuel line to the injector, to a low pressure situation after the injector ehile also being very hot.
This vapor gets sucked back up by the fuel feedpump and collects in the fuelfilter till it reaches a point where it gets pushed into the IP.
So to fix it I would have to route the injector return line back to the tank instead of the factory setup.

Also I noticed that the fuel line coming from the fueltank, to the water seperator, runs very close to the exhaust just after the turbo. Very bad spot so that needs to be relocated too.

Anyone happen to know the size of the banjo bolt on the intake of the feedpump?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom