3B mpg in the real world... Or our corner anyways? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm considering doing a diesel swap... Just wondering what sort of mpg you guys are seeing, what you drive, how heavy it is, and where you drive it?

I'm thinking 3B... I know they're slowish... I want something simple... And I rarely go over the hat. Most of my driving is around town.

Any others you guys have tried and are running?

Any thoughts on the economics of swapping in a diesel? Cost when the dust settles? Extra costs associated with diesel?

:cheers:

John.

I know... I'm half way to a 4BT, but I don't want 6" lift and they're a ton of coin.

Done one swap and read a lot, so I've got a good idea what's involved. Just not sure that I'd come out ahead in the near future... and if my knee would take the extra shifting required by a smaller motor.:hillbilly:

Better than some 2Fs... About 17-18 highway, and 15 around town. With some work I'm sure those numbers could be improved... But it'll still be a 350.

The scary thing is it gets the same economy as our Durrango with it's direct port injected, roller rockered, 1998 motor. Doesn't say much for our auto industry.

my bj70, 3b, 5speed, 4.1 diffs and 255's, always got very close to 30. 28, 29, sometimes 31.

my 42 with alum tub was about the same, best ever was 34 ( towing a cargo trailer if you can believe it )

my 45, soa on 35's with a turbo and the fuel cranked, still got around 25.

not sure on the present 42, seems like less, but it's a smaller tank which makes fill ups seem like they come more often, but I'll be surprized , and check for problems if it's under 25.

and that's imperial of course, no US mpg's here, the us gallon was created so the gubment could collect more tax money on booze. ( more gallons in a barrel , taxed by the gallon= mo money)

my driving style is somewhat geriatric tho, so that likely has something to do with it.

So my 40 with a 3B would weigh 5000 lbs... So I'd likely be looking at mid 20s +/-.:hmm:

Better than some 2Fs... About 17-18 highway, and 15 around town. With some work I'm sure those numbers could be improved... But it'll still be a 350.

The scary thing is it gets the same economy as our Durrango with it's direct port injected, roller rockered, 1998 motor. Doesn't say much for our auto industry.

You're saying that the auto industry really isn't trying to save us money at the pump :eek: :hillbilly:

You're saying that the auto industry really isn't trying to save us money at the pump :eek: :hillbilly:

heh, yeah it's pretty retarded isn't it.

buy some fancy ass smart eco humper thing for however many tens of thousands with a little leaf on the side that shoots sunshine and rainbows out of it's tailpipe (and don't forget the free tibet and farmed salmon don't do drugs stickers, they're always good for a couple mpg.) and all the stinky hippies will give you the peace brother ,way to protect mother earth reacharound at the latte counter.

OR,

buy an 85 honda civic, or any vintage diesel jetta for a couple grand, and they'll get better mileage.

but I digress....:hillbilly:

yes, I'd anticipate 25mpg. my cruisers have all weighed in the 5k lb range.

So my 40 with a 3B would weigh 5000 lbs... So I'd likely be looking at mid 20s +/-.:hmm:

My 6,000 lb BJ74 gets 26 mpg, highway- diesel rocks.

My 6,000 lb BJ74 gets 26 mpg, highway- diesel rocks.

I think I'd be lucky if my 1974 w/ 4.11s would be able to match that.

Since September, I've only put 3000 miles on my truck... so, I'll likely only hit 4000 miles for the year.

At apx 250 gallons of gas vs 160 gallons of diesel. Or $1500 per year for gas vs $1000 per year for diesel. I'll have to think it over some more, but at first glance it would likely be two to three years before my savings would cover the cost of conversion.:hmm:

I think I'd be lucky if my 1974 w/ 4.11s would be able to match that.

Since September, I've only put 3000 miles on my truck... so, I'll likely only hit 4000 miles for the year.

At apx 250 gallons of gas vs 160 gallons of diesel. Or $1500 per year for gas vs $1000 per year for diesel. I'll have to think it over some more, but at first glance it would likely be two to three years before my savings would cover the cost of conversion.:hmm:

all my trucks ( and glenn's 74 I imagine) have had 4.11's

and they've all had 33's, then 255.85.16's (33x10.5's) and the 45 had 35's on it.

nice to go 600+ kms on a tank.

so yeah, it'll take a year or two to make the money back,( less if fuel keeps heading towards 1.50 a gallon...and depending where you find your 3b) but for me, the thought of s***ty mileage kinda sours my driving experience.

Kinda why I'm a sailor and not a powerboater, hard to have fun when you're thinking about how much fuel is going down the tube.

if I was less lazy I'd buy the merc diesel, aussie 4speed and orion combo on bf right now. freakishly cheap, even went so far as to call the guy before I had my "wtf am I gonna do with it" moment.

plus, sparkplugs are kinda gay....:lol:

Well... The car gets up to 70 mpg (depending on how we're driving it) so I don't worry too much about the 40s economy when I choose to drive it.:grinpimp: in comparison 25-30 mpg doesn't seem that good.

As for the 40s economy, if I could improve its economy to 20 mpg... A 3B would only save me $200 a year.:hmm:

So far the 1HZ is getting 17 mpg city. right now it consumes no fuel per inch of moss it is growing in my driveway.

I have heard of these engines running 12-18 l/100 km or 13-19 mpg US.

i'm hoping that confirming timing on the IP and doing a valve clearance check will help a bit more.

...and the turbo...

Chris

when people approach me for diesel conversions i ask them how many km a year they put on. if it is the average 20K to 30K i then ask them how much they like the diesel idea.
in MOST cases doing a diesel swap, especially if you are paying someone else to do the labor, is not economical at all and will take years to recoup the investment.

but

if you like diesels then that isn't important anyway, enjoyment is.

mid 20s to very low 30s is average for 3B equiped vehicles. very seldom have i seen less and hardly ever see mid 30s. budget at 28 mpg and you should be safe.

another consideration is resale, diesels do fetch a better resale especiailly if you can sell Stateside. if money ever gets tight then you have a small nest egg to call upon. gassers fetch nothing in todays market ... something tangeble to add to the discussion ... no?

Well, resale is not a consideration... Diesel or Gas, I can't get anywhere near what I'd want for it.

The only diesels I've driven much were in the above 15,000 kg weight range. Not sure how much I like diesel... Just tossing around the idea.

Parts alone I think I'd be up to the $1000-$2000 range for the conversion... Plus my labour if I was up to it.

Last edited:
my new cruiser 1hd 600km per tank city and deerfoot. I have only filled up once so i will let you know.

3b turbo with giant tires and 4.88's averages 13L/100km sometimes low 12's or even high 11's if i take it easy on a long drive. (sorry I don't think in mpg)

3b turbo with giant tires and 4.88's averages 13L/100km sometimes low 12's or even high 11's if i take it easy on a long drive. (sorry I don't think in mpg)

13l = 2.86 gal... 100km = 62 miles... = 21.7 mpg
12 l/100km = 23.5 mpg

How are diesels for short jaunts? I've read they don't run well before they're warmed up.
Part of my economy problem revolves around the majority of my trips being in town and 5-10 minutes in length.

The last highway trip up to Parksville area, I got 17+ mpg (with a leaking vacuum advance). Now (with that fixed) I'm getting 15-16 mpg in town... Lots of stop and go, and short trips (My longest regular trip is around 6km each way).

13l = 2.86 gal... 100km = 62 miles... = 21.7 mpg
12 l/100km = 23.5 mpg

pretty damn good for a truck as built as his.
How are diesels for short jaunts? I've read they don't run well before they're warmed up.
Part of my economy problem revolves around the majority of my trips being in town and 5-10 minutes in length.

not a big deal, usually the smoke clears up afer 30 seconds or so , and then they run fine. In the summer I hardly even have to use glow plugs if the 3b is healthy.
The last highway trip up to Parksville area, I got 17+ mpg (with a leaking vacuum advance). Now (with that fixed) I'm getting 15-16 mpg in town... Lots of stop and go, and short trips (My longest regular trip is around 6km each way).

if your only reason for doing it is to save a couple bucks on fuel, it's probably not worth it.

it'll also have a lot less power than the 350.

Personally, I wouldnt drive a gasser, just don't like it, and I won't drive anything that gets less than 20 mpg, which rules out most 4x's out there .

I don't even much like going under 25...my 80 got 24, and it pissed me off. Not because of the extra money, only 5 bucks a month or something, but it was the principle of the thing.

you might also find you'd drive it a bit more if the mileage was better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom