FAQ 3b lift pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So some folks want to know what magic lives inside a 3B lift pump. I imagine many lift pumps function like this one in the 80s. Just glancing over at my 4bd1t and its lift pump closely resembles it.
The pump is held onto the engine by 3 bolts. It's actuated by a lobe on the injection pump shaft.
The priming pump which gives so many folks problems uses a 24mm wrench to unscrew it or you can gently use vice grips instead. It is easily crushed I imagine. It's thin metal.
image.jpeg

This is what you find under the priming pump. A spring and a seal. The seal can be replaced.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

So replacing it with the Bosch priming plunger is a great idea. Simple, cheap and reliable and its made by Germans so you can feel a little bit of that snooty high quality feel you get with German parts. Well at least I do. The original priming plunger didn't have a crush washer but perhaps mine was lost along its journey to being neglected in a parts bin.

image.jpeg

This is what makes the seal which stops the fuel from flowing back through the fuel feed line. Plastic on metal. You can barely see a ring worn into the plastic. I'm not exactly sure how to tell if it's worn too much. I guess when it stops working then you know it's too far gone.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
So these pumps are very simple in design and reliable but they do need love too. When they get no love, or worse.... rough love they can become Siezed. The injection pump lobe pushes the plunger out and the return spring pushes it back in. The plunger should move freely and you should be able to effortlessly move it back and forth with only a finger. If your is frozen don't worry it can be worked free with a can of diesel, a poky metal thing, a hammer and your sheer determination.
If your is frozen it will stick in like this.....
image.jpeg

And not poke back out like this with the return spring. The roller on the end will flop in and out but you will definately not feel it being returned by its spring.
image.jpeg

The gigantic nut holds the return spring. I used a pipe wrench to remove it. Don't worry nothing shoots out. No ball bearings will fly across your garage that they stopped making 10 years ago. Just a big spring.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

So I soaked the whole thing in diesel and got it nice and wet and gently taped a pokey thing into it to push the plunger back out the other side. I then pushed the plunger back in. At first it took some serious taping to get it to move at all but it got easier after about 4 cycles. After every few cycles back and forth I immersed it in diesel to wash out debris. Eventually I could move it back and forth by hand. After a few minutes it was effortless to move it in and the return spring snapped it back easily.
You could ask "but how will I know when it's good enough...."
Well it's sort of like torquing the crank nut on the 4bd1t I just had apart.
It's suppose to torque to something like 300ftlbs, but I don't have a torque wrench that goes that high, i just put a pipe on my breaker bar and went for it and at some point I just knew it was tight enough.
When it's good, somehow you just know......
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

In case you were tempted to hook up everything backwards the pump tells you which way the fuel is suppose to go.
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Strangely I ordered this parts kit a few weeks ago but it's stuck at my US reciever. Not sure if it will work for these but I'll chime in when I get it.

@gerg , this is very timely for me. I'm in need of replacing my hand primer, but in the days of C19, I'm having trouble finding a place that will ship to Canada. Did you buy your recently, or a while back? Would Lordco be able to bring one of these in I wonder. Though I don't really want to go out, so I'd rather it was shipped to my door....

Thanks, Greg. Very generous of you, but I'll find something. I have a small mityvac hand pump too which should work until I can get a proper hand primer.

One day though I'd like to have a chat with you about a turbo set-up for my 2H. That's for another thread/conversation though.

Not sure if you're actively working in healthcare these days, but if you are - thank you.

Thanks
Ken

Thank you. Yeah I work in the operating room so wearing a gown and gloves and a mask and change your clothes every day washing your hands every three minutes that’s like every day for me. last year we did a necrotizing fasciitis case which infected most of the guys family members and killed him about four hours after we did surgery I had to go on antibiotics prophylactically as well as did anyone that that came in contact with him so that’s what I work with that worries me.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think I'm going to stick to woodworking. I could never be a healthcare worker, but I certainly appreciate those that do it - putting you and your family on the line for others.

I just got mine on Amazon... but new part number .

574D8174-063D-47C8-A125-F866052E0495.jpeg

In the box the pump has the old number:

7790C270-37EB-47D2-98FD-A897995672F3.jpeg

C5BCA779-CD10-4362-9220-6B8CFBFE5D15.png

Thanks for posting. But it looks like shipping to Canada from most places makes it not worth it. I think I'll just wait a couple months and try again. My truck is a project truck so I'm in no rush...

Nice write up Greg, thanks and hope you and your kids are enjoying the early “summer” time off from school.

Sorry but I don't understand ...
so the Bosch priming plunger replaces the Toyota priming pump ?
is it possible to see a photo of the assembled set ?
thank you

Giacomo

Here you go... Just did this.
8AC5610A-6EB8-4F92-9DAE-1B7C520F6041.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom